OT. Nov trip to Atlanta

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT. Nov trip to Atlanta
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

I will be attending a conference in Atlanta on Nov 17 and 18 at the Crown Plaza midtown.
I have a few decisions to make about transportation etc.
When I usually attend a conference there are shuttle busses or shared limo's between the venu and airport but I see nothing listed for Atlanta.
Additionally there are numerous restaurants in the area but I see very few near the Crown Plaza.
Given this I am thinking it would be best to rent a car so I am not confined to the area.

Atlanta guys - please give me some guidance. - I plan on arriving on the 16 the and leave on the 18th.
Should I rent a car and where should I go to eat in the evening?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

DO NOT miss the opportunity to eat at Daddy Z's !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I'd recommend a rental car for that location. Be sure to bring a GPS. Almost as many one way streets in downtown as in Boston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Fred

I would suggest that you fly in and rent a Car.
Traffic around Atlanta is horrendous and more worse that when I lived there from Feb 1983 to 1999. One of your obstacles will be when you leave Hartsfield intl AP. You will encounter the 6 lanes of traffic on I-285 no matter whih direction you take. From the 12th of Sep thru the19th Sep. I got a chance to drive down I-75 from Chattanooga to Atlanta and near Marietta, GA, lots of highway work. We stayed abot 33 miles Noprth of Atlanta ( 83.00 ) a day.

Inside Atlanta ( considered as all the land inside I-285 can be a dangerous place at night.

So be aware and enjoy your self. If you can, visit the Cyclorama a civil war exposition and also visit Woodstock, GA where the actual train that took place in the great Train Robery begfan. They have or had the original ngine there. Walt Disney made a movie about this
Starring Fess Parker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

They do Have shuttles for most major hotels or did when I lived in the area and flew out of there.

I would say visit the VARSITH a well known place for their greasy food. Near GA Tech

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

As a longtime resident DON"T DRIVE. I'm not sure which Crown Plaza you are talking about, but there a many shuttles, bus lines, taxi and MARTA mass transit to the downtown area. DON'T DRIVE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 09:51 am:

The conference is the Crown Plaza Midtown at 590 West Peachtree St NW,

The Varsity is right around the corner -

Daddy Z is 10 minutes away and convenient to the Oaklawn Cemetery! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Fred: Moultrie swap meet is Nov 20-22. In South GA. Not much T stuff there, but never know. It is one of the biggest a round the area. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 10:12 am:

I'm with Steve R. don't drive unless you are forced to save your sanity ESP. during rush hour there is no place to hide! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Take Marta from the airport, the terminal is inside by Delta baggage claim, driving in Atlanta is not fun, take a cab or something else.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 10:37 am:

I drove every day I was there for a week. Traffic ? No worse than any other
big city. Stay off the freeways during rush hours. Easy enough.

I expected more ghetto and was braced for the "dangerous" mentioned above.
Never saw it. Maybe that nothing seems that threatening after 3 years in AFG ?

We explored a lot of the city and out to the Alabama line, on down to Florida
and back in a big loop. A whole lot of steamy green. Antique hunting was a
bust. They seem to have embraced the idea of "antiques" being things made
in China 3 months ago with a fake patina as being "antique".

The aquarium was pretty impressive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

It looks like the best way to get to midtown is to use the Super Shuttle.
All I need to do is get back and forth between the airport and the Midtown Crown Plaza.

I've used them in other cities with good success.
The round trip is less than $30 and they run every 30 minutes or so.

The next problem will be a trip to Shanghai at the end of January -- :-(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration