Cal Poly Motor Car Association- my T stands out!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cal Poly Motor Car Association- my T stands out!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I'm a member of the student car club on campus at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and I've always had something a little "different". My 26 coupe really stands out- it's the oldest car by just under 50 years.

The club consist of mostly Japanese cars, with a few BMW enthusiasts. I can't keep up with their alphanumeric naming schemes, but it's fun to talk cars all the same.

CPMCA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:10 am:

What an unusual collection of cars. Only one normal vehicle in the bunch that I can identify.

Dick
(CP AERO 1964)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Where did you park your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:29 am:

Dick, you may recognize the Aero Hangar-

T at the Aero Hangar

I'm in the process of stripping the paint to do a bit of bodywork, pardon the primer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:50 am:

Dang I don't even recognise that part of the campus. Aero looks the same but the first pic, nope.
Have you driven the T over the grade?

Bill
Mech Ag 76

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Michael: have you taken any other club members for a ride in the "T" or are you afraid that their minds would never be the same after explaining that to start the car moving forward you push the clutch all the way down? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Bill- The first picture is taken in Poly Canyon Village, looking toward the Cerro Vista Apartments. Both are housing additions from the past 10 years.

I haven't taken it over the grade, I would like to sort out my vague steering and the occasional front end shimmy before taking it on more adventurous drives.

G.R.- I've taken quite a few members for drives, the first questions is "Where's the shifter?", which then opens up the whole explanation of the controls. I think the hand levers get the best reaction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Some cool cars in that lot!

I like the Datsun 510 wagon. Old Japanese cars didn't survive our climate up here, so it's a rare sight to see something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Michael, In the first picture, your T looks right at home, although about 60 feet too high in elevation! The last time I was up at the Aero Hangar, the landing strip had turned into a baseball stadium! Baseball at Cal Poly?! I wonder if Aero still has the Ramjet engine?
John
IT '71

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Cayucos makes for a fun cruise in the T from SLO.

The only thing that looks familiar to me is the Hanger and I am only 10 years out.

(ME 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Ivan, Towne Ford would put you in Redwood City for that profile Photo...when you coming home to the Central Coast?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

This thread sparks memories.

Sports car show, Cal Poly 1969

IT '69

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Phil, thanks for that! We are working on re-starting some of the old programs of the Cal Poly Sports Car Club, which is now defunct.

A car show is in the works for next year, provided the administration is OK with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Just make the administration think that reviving the car show is their idea and you will have all the help you need. Tell them to hold a car show reunion of all the past alumni and that any proceeds will go to a scholarship fund.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

It would be cool if Caltrans would open up the original grade out of town up to Santa Margarita. It appears much of it is still there. Congrats that you have the oldest car. I'm seeing more events lately, where people think a 1985 Camaro is old!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:15 am:

......."where people think a 1985 Camaro is old!"

Not sure about other states, but here in Washington, you can get "Collector Plates" for a car over 30 years old. That would be your '85 Camaro Larry. I guess I'm getting old, but I have a hard time thinking of any car as "old" that was built after World War II. But then I also find it strange that there's a whole generation that have never experienced a car without electric windows, but I guess a lot of young-to-middle aged people have never hand cranked a car window open or closed! Weird, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Is the old road out of SLO to the top called Cuesta Pass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Larry- yes the road from SLO to Atascadero and Paso is called the Cuesta Pass, at the top of the Cuesta Grade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

It is very cool that you are keeping the antique car hobby alive by driving your T to school. Do you ever get comments like "why don't you a more modern car, like a muscle car?" I get that mostly from those who think of an old car as something from the 1960s. Technically, I guess it is "old," as a 1965 Mustang would be fifty years old, but I am with Harold. I don't think of a muscle car as "old." When I was a kid on the HCAA tours, dad's 1913 Michigan was 65 years old. Now a 1950 Ford is that old and I still don't consider that an "old" car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

Jim,

This T is my 8th car in the past 3 years, so my friends are pretty used to me driving something unique.

The best part about driving my T to campus is the response I get from literally everyone- with all of my other cars, I usually only get attention from people who are "car guys".

The T seems to strike some chord with everyone, it's awesome. My girlfriend gets a little jealous of all the girls staring at me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Jim - I guess it's really quite simple,.....the older we get, the older "OLD" is!

Michael - I don't want to "rain on your parade", but it just might be the car that the girls are staring at!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration