Model T Hershey AACA '15 show field and flea market photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T Hershey AACA '15 show field and flea market photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:54 am:

1915 Touring, Ronald Smith; Allentown, PA

1915 Roadster, Olivia Memmelaar; Midland Park, NJ

1915 Huckster, Darren Long; Damascus MD

1914 Roadster, Michael Romano; Roseto, PA

1913 Roadster, Jeffrey Beard; Felton, PA

1911 Roadster, Lloyd Graves; N Hampton, NH

1911 Touring, Marc Lalonde; Alexandria, ON

1911 Touring, Peter Ratledge, Townsend, DE

1924 Roadster, Wesley Roll; Bloomsbury, NJ

1924 Roadster, Wally Hunt; Fredericksburg, VA

1921 Touring, Robert Russell; Bethesda, MD

1920 Roadster, Donald Teat; Ridgely, MD

1926 Roadster, Herman Fletcher; Laurel DE

1913 Runabout, Gilbert Fitzhugh; Morristown, NJ

1915 Roadster, Bill Lillie; Gales Ferry, CT

1923 Roadster pickup, Brian Grube; Mertztown, PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I'll get the flea market photos resized and uploaded asap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:17 am:

I wish the double sided white sidewalls were still available (1915 roadster).

1923 roadster pickup in last photo is a 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:25 am:

I'm just happy the white tires are back. Now if I can just piece together another 15 to replace my touring car, I'll have something to put them on.

Here's the paper on the truck. I just post them as they are registered.

20151010_102211.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Yes, it's a 1924. But it's very common for these cars to be misidentified because of the confusion between model years and calendar years. I expect the serial number would date this vehicle to late 1923, during the 1924 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Looks like a '23 to me based on the door hinges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

High radiator, high and wider hood, high cowl, radiator apron, and front fenders with lip that meet the radiator apron = 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Bought in 1923 no matter how late = titled as a 1923 in PA and probably a lot of states. Everyone knows that late in the year FORD switched to THEIR new model year, but it was still 1923 on the calendar so that's how they are titled.

Every year I wonder why I spend the time to sort, crop, resize, and post Hershey photos with vehicle and owner info because like this one it instantly goes OT.

The 2nd vehicle posted was restored by a young girl. On display with the car were photos of her in all stages of the restoration. I heard she even painted the car. It was great and I hope she inspires other younger people to try it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Craig - it's not off topic, the discussion is still inspired by your pictures :-)

Thanks for uploading them - they are an inspiration now when it's time to put the T away in the garage in large parts of the world..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

You're welcome. I often wonder, as I'm taking the pictures, how many forum members are walking around close enough to talk to. I've only met a couple over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

Craig - Your post was the first one I brought up this morning, and as usual, I started my day with the forum and a cuppa' coffee. Nice way to start the day as I now feel almost like I've been to a really nice car show. A couple comments that I hope you don't feel are "OT"........

I recognized the red '15 Roadster right away as I've seen considerable information about Olivia and her project. This young girl in her early "teens" and her beautiful roadster should be an inspiration to many people, young & old! She and her car (and her family) are indeed a real credit to the hobby!

One other comment,or maybe more of a question.....your last picture of Brian Grube's '23 Roadster Pickup is of particular interest to me. While all of the immaculate and beautiful Model T's are a joy to look at for sure, I absolutely love the look of Brian's '23 Roadster Pickup! Instead of a complete body "restoration", he has somehow maintained and preserved the look of a 1923 "survivor"! There is obviously some sort of "finish" that has been applied to preserve, and maybe somewhat "enhance" that survivor "look" and I'd sure like to know how he did it! I know it can be done somewhat effectively by just rubbing an original car down with kerosene or something, but of course besides messy & smelly, that approach is really temporary, but my question to anybody that knows, is what type of protective coating or whatever can be used to provide that "look" with more permanent results,......anybody,.....???

Thanks again for the wonderful "car show" Craig,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

thanks for sharing the nice pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

Sorry everyone for most of these I only have the photos - no contact info, prices, or details. Here I'm sure there are tons of things we'll see that make us smile and bring up new discussions. I just think the show cars speak for themselves. :-)

More coming, it just takes a while to resize these!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

I was really excited then immediately disappointed after seeing this setup with the SOLD sticker on it.

This guy should have known I was taking T pictures and found somewhere else to sit haha. (However I take a couple pictures of this truck every year so it was not a weekend killer.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

This pickup was loaded with accessory chassis and suspension parts.

I would have followed this one home on foot if I knew my wife wouldn't have grabbed me by the ear and led me away. Gotta get another brass T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I'm not sure how much of the flea market we covered this year, but it wasn't enough as far as I'm concerned. I had to work on Wednesday so we missed it altogether (got there around 10pm). Then we bailed out for the rain storm and missed half of Friday. At least we FINALLY got to see the AACA Museum after not going for so many years.

Did anyone else notice that 2015 was the year of the Model A Phaeton? We saw a bunch of nice ones, and several bodies for sale. I bet next year there will hardly be any. That's how it usually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Craig S, Thank you for the great pictures! They really make me wish I could have been there.
That rear end with auxiliary transmission? Was it a Universal? It looks like it wold be an under-drive version, but cannot really tell from the photo. Universal was one of several companies that built such models. They were available in either overdrive or Under-drive variations, and had a stamping embossment on one side to be stamped with the identification. I think from the photo, that one may be an under-drive. They also made a UDO model, similar to the Rocky Mountain Six Speed transmission. The case for those is shaped slightly differently. The Universals are very well made and work very nicely. I have had two Universals. One a TT overdrive, one a car UDO. I hope the Rocky Mountain is as good, because that is what is in my coupe.

Don't let the thread drift debates about various identifications bother you. Most of us that get into that do not intend any (at least not much?) criticism by it. There was SO MUCH misinformation years ago about model T (and other antique automobile) history. Once a lot of that gets published a few times? It is difficult to turn back the tides of that misinformation. Pointing out these things often it about the only way to do it.
The "high radiator versus low radiator" and "year model versus calendar year" are both separately and together classic examples of such misinformation and the debates over it. The year model thing has been with us almost since the beginning of production automobiles. Still today, most car companies bring out the "new year" around September, often much earlier. Nobody today asks if your 2012 is a real 2012 or actually a 2011.
Again. Wonderful pictures! Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Hey, Craig -- It has been a long time since we've seen you here. Welcome back.

It takes a lot of time to resize and post that many pics. Thanks for doing so.

I hope you find another '15 Touring very soon. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Wayne,

I checked the full size photo and can't see any identifying marks. Since it had already been sold I didn't look it over much. I also have 2 Jumbo Giant transmissions and was looking for a ready-to-go driveshaft and housing and/or a PTO unit for one.

Thanks for the info on the Universals. The reason I like the Jumbos is that you have an underdrive, a direct, and an overdrive all in one. I can't wait to get one in a car. Well, I guess I can - I've had these for years and not used them yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Hi Mike! I was happy to see familiar names including yours when I returned to the forum.

I've been buried at work over the last couple years and also working at starting my own business. Bob is now 10 and starting to show an interest in what dad does, so we are slowly getting the Fairlane ready for racing again. I'm also hoping he can build a Model T someday like Olivia did.

The '27 project is still ongoing although no progress has been made since the body was dipped and readied for final body work before paint. I'm hoping to use whatever Christmas bonus I get this year to do that part and then she'll start coming back together. That will be GREAT!

I can't tell you the last time I even sat in the old wood bodied truck. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Wayne, the rear end with the auxiliary transmission had a moore transmission in the driveshaft. I have one like it that I should sell and I wanted to see how much he wanted for it but it only had a sold sign on it when I looked at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

After years and years of going to car shows and swap meets (mainly looking for Mopar stuff), I had low expectations for my first trip to Hershey.

Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! Some of it was due to the great weather, but I had a great time covering the swap meet over all three days, and had a blast at the car show on Saturday!

I'm definitely going to consider making it an annual trek. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

That next to last picture in the camp ground is my 1917 T.
I pulled it up from Lutz, Florida and used it for my transportation. I t was a good thing I installed a Ruckstell the summer. Made the hills downtown Hershey and at camp ground easy to climb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Craig, thanks for the photos. I hope to make it someday. Bucket list item for me. Does anyone know what the radiator shell is on the yellow speedster. I have one just like it and have seen a few pictures of a couple more. Mine is a perfect fit over a brass radiator. That was one of the selling points of the speedster body companies. You could take an old obsolete looking brass car (sorry brass car guys) and make a "snappy" speedster out of it. Thanks again for the photos ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Donnie I have a couple more photos of the speedster with info. They're on my computer (I'm on my phone) so I'll check them out tomorrow. Hopefully they have some info that can help you out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Craig, don't be bothered when we old folks drift off into OT land. We do appreciate the pictures. You got some good shots I missed, especially at the car show where my batteries expired.

I was especially interested in the 1915 Fords. I had the idea that they would be a good guide for what I should do to mine. But I heard one owner tell the judge, "I know there are things wrong with it, but that's how Dad did it and that's how it's going to stay." Then, looking at the others, I saw enough details that I knew to be wrong that I wouldn't trust them as guides either.But that didn't stop them from being beautiful cars and an inspiration to keep working on mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

Steve,

AFAIC, yours is more correct than most because you drive it regularly over proper
Model T roads. A concours perfect car is nothing but a paperweight if all it does is
hold down the garage floor and get taken to car shows. Phooey on that !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:26 am:

Donnie B, As to the yellow speedster and its radiator shell. Similar shells were made by several companies. Ed Archer's famous number 4 has an original Lawco shell on it. On his, the name is stamped in the bottom panel in front of the bottom tank. The name is fairly small, block letters.
His also has holes on the bottom of the top panel that covers the brass radiator front panel. Some brands of similar shells did not have holes in that location. The holes were discussed on a thread on this forum a couple years ago, but no solid conclusion was reached as to who and why some had large holes, some had small holes, and some had no holes in that location. I can't tell if this yellow speedster has hole there or not from the photo.
Ames was another speedster parts and kits supplier that offered a similar shell.
Paige and Maxwell (among others) had similar shells that occasionally show up on model Ts.
Drive carefuly, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Thank you for the kind words about Olivia and her car. She is a very proud young lady who turns 13 on Saturday.

She loves her car and all of the effort she put into it. We both know there are things that are not consistent with a 15, example a being the pony tail holder pouch in the door and the " puffy" upholstery. Bringing it to Hershey was a goal of hers and she achieved it.

Steve and Craig thanks again for posting the photos.

John, Janet and sister Ava

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Olivia is an inspiration to us all and especially to the youth in our hobby. I looked over her car closely and the pictures showing her working on the car. She did a great job and it turned out really nice. I don't remember the "pony tail holder pouch" though. I'll have to check that out next time. :-)

Her car and pictures of her working on it would make a great feature article in one of the T Club magazines.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

I entered my '27 pick up in the drivers participation class. I have another car that has went through the regular judging stuff and wanted to try this class out.
If you bring a T to the meet and dont show it in the regular judged class' by all means check out the drivers class, DPC. It is only 30 bucks registration, I figure it cost 15 to park any way, and I am able to park it on the show field. We had a blast with it. People really enjoyed checking it out, and no judging, they just verify you bring it. You receieve a nice badge, and a "chip" to place on a board to keep track of the meets you attend.
Car does not have to be 100% stock, and doesnt have to be restored. Dont think you would get by with a street rod.
I did meet a young, fellow, who reads this board who is very interested in the hobby.

greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

To Craig Sutton--You mentioned that you were excited to see that rear end with the added transmission. I just bought a 1915 touring with what looks like that transmission. I think I read the tag correctly and it said it was a "Planator" made by the Mechanics Machine Co. It is a low gear only so I get an extra two speeds--low low, low normal, high low, and high normal. The research thus far indicates that it was produced in 1927 which makes it a late add on to the 1915. Is that what you think it is? Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

There were several beautiful Ts at Hershey, as Craig's pictures show. Two of them impressed me the most. One was Olivia Memmelaar's, for all the reasons already mentioned; we all look forward to the day Olivia is old enough for her license and comes touring with us as a driver. The other was Peter Ratledge's '11 touring. Peter's car has won every award there is, for many years, and keeps winning them. But he also tours that car extensively. He drove it all week on the Mainely T tour in September, and he drove it on the Hershey Hangover the Sunday and Monday following the car show. It has to be a real labor of love to keep a car so nice for so many years while putting so many miles on it. That car is neither a paperweight nor a flower pot.

Thank you, Craig, for the picture of my car. It's a very presentable and fun T that did the Snapper's tour in Michigan this year, the Mainely T tour and the Hangover, as well as just a whole lot of puttering around. I enter it with a Do Not Judge sign, so I get a preferred parking spot with all the other beautiful early cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Craig,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to take the pictures in the first place, then to spend more time and effort to upload them for all of us to see and admire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Grube on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

That is my 23 roadster pickup. I get a lot of nice comments about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Wayne Sheldon. Thanks for the info about the shell. Mine has the Lawco name stamped in the bottom trim panel. The "L" is a weak stamping but the rest of the letters are very readable. It also has the holes in the upper panel. I had also thought of Ames, but I have seen no pictures of one like it yet. I also found some photos of Ed Archers #4 car with a shell that looks just like mine. I think I may post some photos of mine and what little info I have found so far in another thread and not "drift" this thread more than I already have. Craig, thanks again for the photos. and more of the yellow speedster will be greatly appreciated, (by me, if no one else :-)) They mean a lot to us who do not get to go ... Submitted with respect Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Gilbert, THank you for your nice comnents on our car.
My wife and I had a 1923 touring car for 30 years. It was a senior AACA. We showed it and drove it on tours. In 1995 we were in Winchester
Va.at a National AACA show. I had to use the restroom,While I was there I overheard a couple of
guys talking about a 1911 touring that they wanted
to sell. I got the information and kept it to myself.
The next week we went on a tour up in New Hampshire. On the tour we stopped at a anitque
shop. Out in front of the shop there was a 1912 touring that was painted red that had no doors on the front. I found the owner and asked him to take us a ride. He said Hell no,You take the
car. While I was driving,My wife said" I like this feeling with no doors". I told her about the !911 that I heard about then. She said Lets
get it. So we did.
I restored the car and showed it the first time at National AACA show in Johnstown Pa. in
1996. It got a first Junior the first time out.
From there we went to a tour up in New Hampshire.
The car has been in every state east of the Mississippi a few times, quite a few states west of it.
We bought our 5th set of tires this year at Hershey. I use them till they are 1/2 worn out,
then sell them.
WE have driven the car through rain storms,forded streams,up mountians and though
limestone Mud.
The longest trip we have driven in one day is 240 miles.
I am 75 years old. As long as I am able, I am going to go on tours and AACA car shows.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration