Setting generator brushes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Setting generator brushes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

I have checked the Model T Ford service manual and tried searching old threads but am still confused about setting the brushes. I replaced the brushes and cleaned the inside of the generator the best I could, and now need to adjust the brush holder assembly and the third brush. I am relatively new to the model t and need some help. The generator is still out of the car. Thanks for any help.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Adjust the brush holder so the generator won't motor with the third brush lifted. Then check with the third brush down so it motors, further adjustments in the car with the ammeter connected :-)

The Mtfca electrical manual is also worth more than the $12 it costs ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Its a little more complicated then the generator motoring with the brush lifted. You need to find the mid point where it will not motor ether direction but wants to just try and motor clockwise by adjusting the brush plate with the four screws that hold it in place just loose enough to rotate the whole assembly. After you have set that, then mount the generator back in the car and set the output by loosing the nut holding the 3ed brush and move it to increase or decrease the Amperage of out put. I think (and know I will be corrected if wrong) moving the brush in the direction of rotation with the engine running increases the output amperage. Output amperage setting depends on your driving but around 5 to 6 amps should be good place to start (engine running = to about 20 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Gary,

The instructions I used to set the third brush are the ones that came along with the Fun Projects voltage regulator. The instructions are available on the website below, and worked perfect. While you're at it, I recommend replacing the cutout with the voltage regulator (if you haven't already). Also, the 3rd brush wrench makes the job a whole lot easier.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5055r.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

Mark G. is correct in each of his statements.
The only thing I would say to Gary D. is remember the first sentence of Mark's comments. I work on Model T generators every day and I can tell you setting the brush plate null (lead) is tricky and even trips me up sometimes. I love to call this one a trap for logical people. By that I mean the procedure looks a bit too simple and the trouble is in the details.
Gary, if you run into trouble I live not too far away in Nicholasville, Kentucky, if you need some assistance Y'all C'mon Down, we can help.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 03:05 am:

Mark, I didn't write "motoring with the third brush lifted" if you read my post again. I meant the same procedure that you wrote but used fewer words. And I recommend the club's manual that describes everything more in detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:21 am:

I am confused about the generator "motoring". Please explain about "motoring", keeping in mind that the generator is out of the car. Ron, I may take you up on your offer. I have misplaced your number, but I'm sure I can find it. Thanks to all of you for your input.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 09:25 am:

When the generator is "motoring" it's turning like an electric motor when you connect it to a battery with plus to the generator output (the cut out should better be taken off to avoid confusion what pole to connect to) and negative to the metal. This will also serve as magnetizing the generator so it'll work when put back in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

Roger, your definition was very helpful. Thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Mark,
Which direction is clockwise? Is it looking toward with the gear with the generator behind the gear, or is it looking from the back of the generator with the generator between you and the gear?
I just set mine at a point where it does not turn either direction "null point" and it seems to work fine for me.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration