OT nother new project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT nother new project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Now to get it home and loads of cleanup! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Keith,

Nice lathe! I like the 4-speed gear box set-up that takes the place of the line shaft. I have the same box (at least it looks the same) on a 14inch Flather lathe. My gear box was made by Western Manufacturing Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Good score Keith. Built like a battleship and solid as a rock. It reminds me of those we learned on in trade school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Thanks, I cant remember the gear box name. Lathe is a 16x8 Hendey probably teens or early 20's. I am no machinest by any means but always wanted a lathe. Have a 4 jaw chuck and several other bits that come along with it. wish it had the taper attachment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Keith,I have some large live centers which I cannot use.If you need some I will send them to you.Will need mailing address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Thanks Jack, I may need one. I have one but have not checked the condition, did get a good 5/8 drill chuck, face plate and odds and ends drills and reamers. I have a lot to learn as I have never messed with one much. I will PM you. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Keith, nice lathe. I have one just like it. Only difference is you have a 8 foot bed and I have a 6 foot bed. You will appreciate the extra two foot. In about 25 years of owning mine I have only needed longer than six foot twice. But it would have been nice to have the extra 2 foot. If you have any questions, I will try to help. I am self taught, and had the help of a couple "mentors" that tried to keep me "steered" in the right direction. But maybe I can answer some questions. Keep it clean and oiled very well and it will out last your kids. If you are really "new" to the machining world. Here is my first pieces of advice. (may not have wanted it but here it is anyway :-)) (1) Never use compressed air to clean any machine tool. Only wipe the ways clean and use a vacuum for the cleanup. Compressed air will "blow" the small metal shavings into the ways (not a good thing), and get in the habit of cleaning up as soon as you are done, end of day, or as needed, no exceptions (2) Never leave the chuck key in the chuck. If possible get a "self ejecting" chuck key or build one. They just have a small spring in the end of the key to push it back out if you turn it loose. This may sound like a "no-brainer" but lots of people have been hurt with flying chuck keys. (3) Never talk to anyone while you have the machine running. If someone wants to talk to you while you are machining, either turn off the machine and do your talking or "run them off". (4) keep everything oiled to the point of almost being over oiled.(then clean up) notice the trend about "clean" one little note about oiling the "Hendy" lathes. There is a very small screw/plug in the flat belt step pulley area. Remove it and oil thru the hole. This will oil the planet gears inside the pulleys. They have no other lubrication other than what you put in there. very important to keep them well oiled. Now the next thing for now is "have fun" I would be lost with out my lathe. You may find out that you will be also, and wonder why it took you so long to get one. :-) I am in somewhat the same place as you are right now, Only its a different tool. I finally broke down and got me a Bridgeport. I have just got it home and into the shop so like you, I have to start cleaning and learning. I had a small mill, but always wanted a Bridgeport. My main problem so far was how to get a 48 inch wide Bridgeport (after handles were removed) thru the 47 inch wide access door that I built into the shop way back years ago :-) but Its in and the shop is still standing . So now the fun starts. Submitted with respect Donnie Brown ...

My 16 X 6 Hendy Lathe

My new toy :-) :-) :-)

It even has a shaper attachment that I do not have a clue how to operate, I understand what it is for, but have no "set up" experience on a shaper. Any advice for a "newbie shaper operator" ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

Thanks Donnie for the good advice, I may worry you with more questions but will probably need help along. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Keith, I just noticed in the photo of your lathe, that the gear cover is missing on the far left side of the lathe. It is to cover the small back gears above the 1-2-3 shift lever. I would look around where you bought the lathe for it. It may be sitting there somewhere. Ill try to get a photo of mine if you want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Yes, I thought it was missing something but we could find nothing. Figured I would have to fabricate something, pictures would be a great help. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Nice! I have a big Hendy just like that, has a 8 foot bed. It was made in 1911. Lots of Hendy stuff on the net. I found a manual and all sorts of information. Great find, PK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Go to www.practicalmachinist.com Its a breeze to load pics too BTW... ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

I have a rule I try to follow religiously--never take the chuck key out of your hand until you are setting it down on the tool tray. But, I like your idea of the spring--hmmm. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Good advice ex trooper, went and registered on there site. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

Here is a link to one style of self ejecting chuck keys on e-bay. just type in "self ejecting chuck key" and you will see lots of them. Some are really reasonable priced for the danger they help prevent. I have witnessed the aftermath of a flying key. It is a real danger. .... and all it takes is a small lapse of thought. And since Im not getting any younger, Lapse of thoughts are more frequent these days ... submitted out of concern..... Donnie Brown ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibraltar-1-2-Self-Ejecting-Lathe-Chuck-Key-Wrench-/1117 98169188?hash=item1a07b0ae64:g:N28AAOSw14xWH6m~

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration