Replacing the hogshead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Replacing the hogshead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Am I supposed to use gasket sealer on the front felt gasket when replacing the trans cover?...or just on the 2 side gaskets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

The front felt needs some type of sealer to stop the oil - it can be tricky to get it right and there are several ways to do it.
I split the felt to half its thickness and put liberal amounts of gasket cement on both sides. It's oil tight alright :-)
Some guys skips the felt altogether and puts a bead of "The right stuff" there instead. Works fine if you're fast - it tends to harden fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Old time method, still works for me, soak the felt gasket in varnish, then squeeze excess away with dispo gloved fingers, let tacky dry. Lay on the felt and it will stick. When hardened there is no way for oil to seep through the felt.

Apply a small bead of sealant on the upper circle of the hogshead. And a big dab of sealant at each corner of the cover/block/crankcase, that is where the pesky leaks can happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

I changed out the Low Pedal cam assemblies yesterday on Popeye. I glued the side gaskets to the engine pan with yellow contact cement. Used "The Right Stuff" instead of felt. By the time I had all the bolts tight the sealant was cured. No leaks after the test drive last night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Thanks guys! I was replacing the bands and thought I might as well fix my oil leak at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTvzA7QLbZ8

:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration