SHOW what the danged thing looks like!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: SHOW what the danged thing looks like!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

It is truly exasperating when someone asks a technical question about what they need to do or what parts they need to buy for their Model T, often with the year and/or body style unspecified, and resorts to attempted verbal descriptions of what they're dealing with. The result is usually mystification on the part of anybody inclined to answer the question. I've seen discussions go on for weeks or months, with multiple people trying to help, and the questioner remains befuddled throughout when he could easily have had an answer the first day simply by posting a few pictures. AAAaaarrrgh! End of rant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P.J. Thiessen-Elkhorn NE. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

This forum is not the easiest for posting pictures...just sayin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Steve, Iam back in college taking a computer class. Because I dont know how to get the information from my camera to the computer and then to the forum. I will be there soon so please give the computer challenged a break. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

I agree with PJ. It is quite the process to shrink down a picture to make it fit within the 500K limitations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Jim, don't you mean 250K? That is why I'm struggling, to post my photos. I've posted many photos before, now I'm having trouble. I think I still have to reduce them more, is what my problem is, but after I reduce them, it doesn't tell me what I reduced them TO???? I don't give in yet!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

some programs like Photoshop elements has a button to hit if you want to post a picture on the web. So it reduces it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

why not get a modern web site like everyone else ,click,click done????????????????? as i said before i would donate some$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you need it Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

You mean a Vbulletin site, like the MTFCI site? I seem to recall it had some severe growing pains at first (thankfully it works fine now). :-)

Regarding this current, old software site:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/541631.html?1431838921

Chris Brancaccio, please put the above link (or something better, if you have something) in the "Posting Pictures" section of the "Instructions for Forum Use" thread.

Yes folks, there is such a thing as a thread called "Instructions for Forum Use"!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/12/12.html?1017714391

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Steve,

I'm another "old fart" that considers himself "computer literate" (My degree is in IT) but not everyone is. Computers can be daunting to the newly initiated.

The neat thing about Model T's is... There isn't a newer model on the shelf before you get home with your newly purchased one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

I'm a pre-computer model (1932) but I've got it down pat. I sure hope they keep this format!! I'm not a fan of the other forums format.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

For those of you having trouble resizing pictures. The easiest to way to do it is:

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize (click on the blue link and it will take you directly to the webpage where the program can be downloaded)

All you do is install, then drag and drop your photo file on to the icon, and your photo is resized to whatever you want and placed in the same directory as the original picture. Take a second and read the instructions.

You can easily resize any picture in 2 seconds without even opening the program.

I guarantee there is no easier way if all you want to do is resize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

I consider myself computer literate.
I've been using it daily for 16 years.
After spending so much time trying to post pictures on this site I have given up.
I can email pictures with no trouble and post on some other sites.
I have never been able to post on this site and will probably never try again. Waste of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

PJ in Elkhorn

You are correct. it aint the easiest. They just torn down my grandparents house on W Park Rd in Elkhorn. My Aunt Maxine is real sad. So the times are changing.

My Touring waiting for the Train.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

What Bud said!
What Bud said!
What Bud said!
What Bud said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

You could have reduced and saved your picture to the same file in the amount of time it took to say that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Steve,

There you have it....... it's a pain in the ass to post pictures!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

We have the software that we have. A great many forum users, maybe most, are used to this obsolete setup and like it fine, and strongly object to changing it before that becomes necessary. OK, fine. I can live with it. So here we are with a system that requires image files to be 250 KB or less. What can you do about that?

1 Use one of the free resizing websites that make it easy.

2 Have some kid teach you how to resize.

3 Get a Mac.

4 Use the program Bud posted.

Lest anybody get the idea that I'm some tech-savvy kid, let me put that superstition to rest. I'm a pre-war model, having arrived before Pearl Harbor Day. I grew up with radios that had tubes, and you had to wait for them to warm up before you could hear Fibber & Molly. Pictures were taken on film you took to the drugstore, and you had to wait until at least the next day (usually longer) to get your prints. If you typed your school papers any typos had to be removed with an ink eraser that would grind a hole through the paper if you weren't careful. To change TV channels you had to get up off your big fat chair and go across the room and turn a knob on the TV. So I arrived in the computer age unprepared and reluctant. But by 1999, as my home century neared its expiration date, it was becoming ever more clear that my little business was going to need a website. So I bought a lime-flavored iMac and a scanner for the pictures I was still shooting on film, and dragged myself VERY reluctantly into the computer age. I had two choices. Hire somebody to do my website, or do it myself. But being Mister Thrifty, I really had only one choice. Fortunately the Adobe PageMill software that came with the computer made most of it fairly easy. Except for the pictures. It drove me nuts, trying to get pictures to show up on my web pages. I started work on the website at the end of August. I finally figured out how to make the pictures show up on Thanksgiving Day. Yes, that's right. It took me almost three months to figure out something I now do in a minute. So I can sympathize completely with my fellow geriatric cases when they have trouble with the workings of modern technology. Been there, done that. So let me offer a few words of encouragement. You CAN learn to post pictures on this site, and do it easily.The mountain looks mighty high from the bottom, but after that first climb you find out it was just a little hill after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I have to go with Steve on this one. If you ask a question and don't know about what you are asking, ether find the correct terms or post a photo, even if you have to send it to one of the members to repost. It's like asking how much is my car worth with no photos or description. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

One of the best things about this forum is how easy it is to post pics. I left one forum because the only way to post pics was to email them to a moderator!!

Resizing photos is easy. I simply use the online picresize.com. It's a good thing huge file sizes aren't accepted here because they waste space and slow things down. Some people would use 5Mb to post a pic of a door handle if you let them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Well now..

This is a Model T Forum, no?

Many folks are befuddled with the controls when trying to drive a T for the first time...maybe for the first several times. However, with patience, some tutoring, and practice, many learn to love and drive a T.

Same with this site and it's picture posting eccentricity. It works, and I like it....and I don't know how to use a smartphone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

glad to see i am not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Here Here

I figured it out and I am not tech savvy either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Steve,

I have a thing. It's making a noise. Any ideas how to fix it ? :-)

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:08 am:

A liberal application of modified bitumen roofing tar should at least muffle the sound. If that doesn't suffice, hit it with a bigger hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:46 am:

"modified bitumen roofing tar"

Wow! The ghost of discussions past! Thanks for the reminder.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:52 am:

This is the easiest forum to post pictures. Not everyone has a camera though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:59 am:

I can post pictures here, and I'm on 33K dial-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 03:30 am:

On original point of this thread, I do mostly agree with Steve J very much. And I can post photos onto this site better than I can onto a few other sites I use occasionally. At least AFTER I get them into my photo files on my computer.
We used to have two digital cameras that loaded photos directly into my computer's photo files with minimal direction. But both cameras died. We ended up getting two new cameras about two years ago. And they do not load onto the computer so easily. My hangup is not this site. It is my own camera and/or computer. And thirty years ago, I made my living in cutting edge technology.

And who says MTFCI's site is working okay now? It still only loads okay about half the time for me. My DSL line isn't fast enough. Better options are not generally available in my area. AT&T doesn't want to fix the line I use even though they are required by the PUC and FCC to do so. A couple other sites using VBulliten that I go to occasionally work okay, but still, as of last week, not MTFCI.
Change solely for the sake of change is not always good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 09:40 am:

"modified bitumen roofing tar"

I think of it every time I have a problem but can't remember how to spell it!

I actually like this site.
Resizing and posting pictures from my computer is easy but I have a problem with posting pictures directly from my Samsung phone and iPad.
So I send them to myself do the pictures from the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:20 am:

This site has always been sorta clunky to upload photos, but it takes about two seconds once you get used to it. It was made to use pictures from old Sony Mavica cameras which were under 200K in file size. That is the limitation that is hard to overcome using any Apple portable device. It is super simple if using an IBM platform / Microsoft software device.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I have a separate file in my computer which I label "to web" I make a copy of any picture I want to post on the forum. That way I don't tinker with the original picture in my computer. I use Adobe Photoshop which has on the toolbar "image" I click on that and then "image size" Then I choose resolution 72.

That's all I have to do is change the resolution, I don't need to change anything else. I save the picture under the new resolution.

Then when I want to post that picture to the forum, I go to my "to web" file and find the picture and post it to the web. No problem. I'm sure that the other site listed by Bud would allow you to do the same thing.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Guess I will need to pick up a copy of the Model T repair manual and start reading it cover to cover!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:13 am:

It may be simple to a lot of you guys, but most of the computer "language" to me may as well be Chinese. I have ADD and have a hell of a time trying to remember instructions. If they aren't VERY simple, they just become jibberish. Can't help it, that's just the way it is. Anything beyond on, off, up, down, right, left, becomes very cumbersome to me. I consider myself very fortunate to even be able to log on here. Once I do learn something, if I don't use it a lot, it's gone and I have to start all over again. Had a hell of a time in school, that was long before ADD was even known about. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:13 am:

i am with you Dave!! we all lose here buy not getting the pics we should .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Royce I don't recall seeing that 1909 two lever ad before. It has the horn mounted on the steering column.
Can we have it in another thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 11:28 am:

I am currently on 48k dialup and I have not had trouble using the programs on my computer to modify and post pics.

My dad's new hobby,"NOT" house climbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I downloaded this program to resize pictures. It works the same as when I had WIN XP and is easy to use.
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Mottashed on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

I'm a long time lurker but don't post often. I am webmaster for our chapter and used software that automatically resizes uploaded images. Of course that resizing can only happen on the server after you have uploaded the entire large photo. That might take 16x longer or more than a neat little 250K image. Horrible for dial-up users. Even though I have "high speed" I quickly tired of waiting for large photos to upload only to be shrunk anyway by the website. (If the website doesn't shrink them then users will be waiting for ages to download them when trying to read forum threads.) I set my camera to only 2M pixel but still gave up and learned how to resize before uploading even though I didn't have to!

Bottom line: I think we have the best compromise now. You just have to be sufficiently motivated to resize. Ironically, not having to resize would probably end up motivating you to resize.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration