More Loose Parts :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More Loose Parts :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

I realize that T flywheel ring gears aren't press fit, but how loose is too loose? The one i pulled off my flywheel at least required me to pull on it to take it off, this new replacement one, not so much. I would think that by having it this loose, it would put a lot of stress on those puny magnet bolts that hold everything together...Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tm6uILTy9I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

You have to heat and hammer them to install them. I would think that if you were able to pull one off by hand, you got a problem somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I've never had to heat and hammer one to install it. But I've also never had one that wasn't snug. I haven't had any problems with the 4 I've installed in the last 4 years. Others results may vary!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I've had a new one loose but can't remember if that loose, all I did with that one was loc-tite and several drill and tap locking grub screws around it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Tyrone,

I've never heard of such a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

For what it is worth I understand that Model A flywheel gears have to be heated to install. I have never done one on a Model A but am working on one. Not so much on Model T's. I have never had to heat a T flywheel starter gear to install it and I have lost track of how many T gears I have installed. YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Most anything but the T would be heat-shrink fit ring gear and tack welded, on any car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

I measured at least 0.012-0.015 in some places, not happy with the way this fits at all. Not sure if i should send it back and order a new one from a different vendor and see what happens, or try to fix this one. Chances are the vendors all get the gears from the same supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 26, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Look for burrs where the gear goes on, might be what is keeping it from going on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Mark, go back and retread his original post and watch the video. His problem is opposite of what you're thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 03:40 am:

I have never used a new gear. Don't use a starter enough on model Ts. But every original gear I have worked with was a snug fit. No heat, usually no hammer (maybe just a tap or two), but definitely no slop.
Yours is too loose.
Most other cars are heat and shrink to install tight fit. Of course, most other cars don't have magneto bolts to also hold it in place. But too loose would eventually shear those brass bolts.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:19 am:

I bought a new ring gear recently and it slipped straight on, I don't remember it being that loose though. Haven't gone any further with it so I might check how much clearance I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 04:35 am:

Sometimes Ford used out of spec parts in production by finding a matching part that fit, so this flywheel may have been made too small from start? Or maybe the repro part is wrong, do you have more Ford flywheels to check how it fits there?
I wouldn't put it together with such a loose fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Does anyone have the spec? It would seem easy enough to measure both the flywheel and the ring gear and determine which is wrong, if you knew what they were supposed to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:25 am:

Frank, I'm not sure about a T ring gear, but over here all that is needed is to heat the ring gear a bit, drop it on, and let it cool. Tack welding is totally not required. The only ring gears that are welded that I have seen were on fly wheel flex plates for automatic transmissions. That being said, that was many years ago. Maybe different now? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 07:23 am:

David, I agree, a lot of modern ring gears are fitted that way, a few are still tacked, it was old school stuff, I can even remember you could buy ring gear pieces to repair once.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration