What's the story on all-cast-iron sediment bulbs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What's the story on all-cast-iron sediment bulbs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

I hadn't seen one of these before. A poor idea I imagine. Does anyone know when or how long they were used? The valve and outlet are both cast iron, not brass. (Magnetic)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

I'm betting that takes more than a little heat up and water quench to get apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

if you get it complete red and dunk in water fast it will come apart buy hand and not crack.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

I see there is an iron pipe plug in the bottom instead of a petcock. Could this be an early version? I will place it in a container of ATF and lacquer thinner. Maybe after a couple of years it will free up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

I had an all cast iron sediment bulb in my parts collection that I removed from a gas tank. It was in very good condition.

I'm pretty sure it was aftermarket. It looked nearly identical to a Ford bulb but it was slightly larger and had a substantially huskier handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

My '19 had one when I got it. Are most of them brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

Ok. Thanks Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Richard- I removed one from an old tank last week with the iron valve and a pipe plug rather than a petcock in the bottom BUT it did have the brass outlet fitting. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:08 am:

The encyclopedia in Mark's link doesn't address the cast iron valve and outlet. On cast iron bulbs, these items were still bronze. At least every one I've ever seen until Richard posted this photo. I'm wondering if Erik isn't onto something with the aftermarket idea?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Hal is correct. I bought a cast iron bulb at Hershey this year, it had a bronze valve and outlet.

One thing I noticed when I took it apart for cleaning, it did not have the extension inside to ensure that sediment didn't just go straight across to the outlet screen, see pic below.

Also shown is a drawing I found on another thread of a bulb cross section with the inside extension feature (pointed out by the arrow).

I wonder if any production bulbs actually have the extension feature? What about the brass bulbs currently available from the vendors, has anyone taken one apart and seen whether it has the extension feature or not?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:32 am:

I have one in my hand now, ford script, no extension. Interesting. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:24 am:

I have a few of the 1915-1925 cast iron bulbs. They all have bronze valves and outlets. I haven't opened them up, so I don't know about the extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:42 am:

I've seen a few of the kind with the cast iron valve. I assumed they were made during The Great War when brass was needed to kill Germans. I also assumed the cast iron carb inlet fittings were made in this same time period for the same reason. No proof, just speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:45 am:

A little tip for disassembly - my bronze valve with the long handle was stuck fast in the cast iron bulb body. I removed the cotter pin, washer and spring, then soaked the valve for a couple of hours with penetrating oil and rooted around for a 1/4 inch deep socket that would fit over the end of the valve. Once I found one that was a good fit, I used it to punch the valve out without having to turn the handle and risk breaking it off. Then, I used toothpaste to lap in the valve after cleaning everything up.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Ford changed from the Brass sediment bulb in 1916 to the cast iron version. I've never seen an outlet that was cast iron. Interesting! I would replace the one you have with another. They show up on ebay a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Larry you made me look again at the ford script one I have here and it has a cast iron outlet, who knows though what could have been changed in 90 years. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:07 am:

The outlets on the earliest sediment bulbs were rather flat with no script. The later ones are rounded around the edge, and have a Ford script and a part number.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration