Rear Tack Strip for 1915 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Tack Strip for 1915 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I've got sticker shock over the price of a single tack strip for the back of a 1914 touring car. I need one for my 1915, which should be the same thing. In any event, does anyone have an affordable solution? Tough order, I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

The rear tack strip consists of 5 pieces and they can all be cut on a band saw. I fortunately had the rear piece but I did cut the other pieces on my band saw. The rear section could be very easily cut with a band saw. The back of the front seat is some tricky compound steam bending. I do want to attempt it some day. David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Jon Anderson sells them and they are reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Are you asking about the wood or the metal strip? I've seen the metal strips, but there are no reproductions I know of and they are expensive...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:55 am:

There are posts on the forum about making your own from PVC material that Lowe's and Home Depot carry. I had my doubts, but tried it and it worked really well.

Easy to bend without splitting, holds tacks well, and will last several lifetimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:34 am:

This post shows steam bending the tack strips:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/496256.html?1417055453

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

I believe the poster is asking about the rear wood strips that are not bent and can all be cut on a band saw. The back of the front seat is a more complicated compound steam bent assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

I'm adding a U channel underneath/behind my wood tack strip to reinforce that area a bit more. IMHO, the rear panel of the '15/16 body is too flimsy, especially with, Um, modern-weight folks in the back seat. The channel is bent up from some thick sheet-metal. Once upholstered, etc. no one will ever see it. Just an idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I am missing something here, the main tack strip across the rear seat back is 3/4" x 2", a very substantial component to resist bending from people sitting in the back seat. Where and why would this part need to be reinforced. The front is a bit different it is made of two pieces with an open joint in the middle for flexing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

i think some of you are talking about tho different bodies???? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

David,different bodies are different.My 15 Hays body has two tack strips,both on front and back seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

ok! 13 to 16 has two bent strips of 5/8 wood inside and outside,about 17 they bent the tin over on the top to make a angle doing away with the wood on the inside, then in about 21 with the 3 piece body they used the wood David is talking about. after 300 bodies this is what i know!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 12:48 am:

Hmm,it's been a while since I worked on my '16 body--it's a Burdette (sp?) if that makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

I think Charley cleared something up, the rear body component I have for my 15 may be from a later model. I purchased it from a friend and it fits perfect on the 15 therefore I assumed it was a 15 model however I believe many later back components will fit also, therefore my back half may be several years later, and therefore the wide wood component.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Some of you are confusing the structural wood that goes inside the body, with the 5/8"(?) square piece that's steam bent and mounts outside the body, around the top edge of the seat, and gets the upholstery & top tacked to it.

My '21 Roadster tack strip was made in 2 pieces, basically right & left, that fit into a steel "C" channel running across the straight portion of the rear seat panel. You could hardly tell that the "C" channel had ever existed because it was so eaten away by rust. But, at least on a '21 Roadster, you need it to support that rear panel.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration