OT - I live life on the edge .... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - I live life on the edge .... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 07:40 am:

Or so they say ... :-)

@ http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/career/the-world%E2%80%99s-most-surprisingly- dangerous-jobs/ss-BBmuW17?ocid=mailsignout#image=4

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:32 am:

It doesn't surprise me. Considering the number of drunks, texters, and distracted drivers on the road, it must be scarey to drive a big rig. In fairness, I must add that I have seen some pretty sloppy and discourteous driving by big rig operators as well (Present company excluded, I presume).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Usually 1 month in the fall i'm a big rig trucker as in up to 115,000 pounds,18 speeds,and with 4 miles our longest streach,that's a lot of shifting!!!Put a person in a car/pick up/suv,and when they see a truck their brain stop's to function!! With all those corners about 90% will pull up to the edge of the road and when the truck needs to turn the corner instead of backing up they freeze!!!!! No matter how close the on coming traffic is they can't waite of even put down their cell phone!!!! I think drivers ed should teach people about truck's and we need more cop's and DOT because all trucker's are not very good at it myself included!!! Bud,Rained out today!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:23 am:

I agree with you Bud. The issue is people have no respect for others anymore. When I pull up to an intersection with trucks, I don't pull all the way up to the white line but stay back the distance I figure it would take me to make that turn with a truck (leaving them plenty of room). You have only identified one issue with a lack of decency. Ever notice how folks don't hold doors anymore, or offer to take your shopping cart back since they are walking in anyway?

You hit it pretty well Bud but people should be taught the basics of decency in all situations. If that was done, everything else would fall in line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:57 am:

When my brother was driving truck, it was an endless story of hilarity, ... the stupid sh!t
people will do, and the even funnier sh!t they will say after they get crunched or run over !

One story involved a brand new Lincoln. The guy tried to zoom past him at an intersection
where the right lane ended just past said intersection. Brother just kept moving and the
poor Lincoln got stuck against the line of parked cars that filled the ended lane area. The
driver just cut in to the through lane and the full load of steel came right up over him like
a giant speed bump. When the dust cleared, the Lincoln driver said to my brother "I thought
you saw me !".

Brother's reply: "I thought you saw ME !" (Hard to not see a big rig with a 52' trailer !!!) :-)

Not only is it illegal to pass on the right, as the Lincoln driver did, but really ... this is your
"defense" ?

Funny stuff. :-) Have fun with your claims adjuster, Mr. Moron !

The good news is, ALL our rates go up when the collective majority think and operate like
Mr. Moron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Jim I tried to view the video but it would not load from work.
The only thing on the page that got my attention was this advertisement.

Are you talking about getting one of these from GNC?

Now that could be dangerous! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

Fred,

If I had one of those I would retire from the road ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:13 am:

I am here to tell ye I about got smacked by yet ANOTHER FrieghtLiner friday.
I was on I26 headed to Fletcher Nc to a tractor show and a log truck must not have had 1 shred of brakes as I saw him coming in the rear mirror and I got over to the left far as I could. He passed me doing 50 at least in the emergency lane,trailer wheels missing my trailer by a few inches. He was scrubbing the guard rail when he went by.
I fuss as much as the next guy ,if not more, about the DMV being so strict on the little man but this is a case that a Dmv man needed to lock his butt up tight.
No brake noise,no tire smoke,just a flying overloaded truck in the emergency lane .Never did stop,just slowed down and merged back over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:48 am:

There is an intersection near my house where drivers have a choice of about a 75 degree right turn or a 105 degree left. A trucker with a '53-foot box had his right directional signals on and on the back of the box was a large sign that said "This truck makes wide right turns." As he started into the turn, a lady in a Volvo decided to pass him on the right. when everybody stopped, she had the narrowist Volvo in Massachusetts. The Volvo got compressed between the box and the guardrail. She was mad as hell until the cop wrote her a ticket and told her that the accident was 100% her fault. Then she was madder!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I had an opportunity several years ago to drive in a foreign country where the roads were full of small motorcycles, large garbage and junk trucks, pedi-cabs, water buffalo, pedestrians, dogs, children, mines, booby trapped babies, mortars, RPG's and small arms fire. We were okay running over anything in the road except a water buffalo. If you hit one of Babysan's cows you had hell to pay. Therefore we always swung wide on right turns if one of those behemoths were on the right. The craziest thing that I was involved with was an ARVN soldier on a small motorbike that got the frontend of his scooter caught up in the rear dual of my trailer. I watched his motorbike with him on it flipping around where they ended up in a rice paddy. I kept going to avoid tempting Sir Charles into ambushing the convoy. When I got to the LZ where we were to unload, one of the other drivers said from the way that ARVN was standing and yelling at the convoy he might have defected and become VC. I was relieved he was still alive. When I checked the rear dual on the trailer I found a piece of his handlebar, his clutch handle and about a foot of clutch cable wrapped up inside the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

If the road/street was 4 lane the truck driver can not turn right out of the left lane!! If the truck turning right from the right lane needs more room when there is room he can go over the center line to make the turn!If it was 4 lane and the truck turned right from the left lane the woman was right the cop wrong and the trucker should have got the ticket!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

A couple of weeks ago, I was passing through Macon, GA. I had just gotten onto I-16E. There was a Bibb County Sherriff's Deputy in front of me and a blue haired lady in front of him in the left lane (I-75S merges into the left lane and I-75N merges into the right lane and forms the beginning of I-16E). There was a tanker truck coming from I-75N in the right lane. The blue haired lady was doing maybe 50, if that much in a 65. The tanker was doing maybe 55-60 and gaining on the deputy. In my opinion, the deputy should have blue lighted the blue haired lady for impeding traffic, but instead, he got a case of the @$$ and tried to whip it over into the right lane to pass her on the right. Only problem was...there was a semi over there. The semi hit the shoulder and since we were in the process of crossing a bridge, he had nowhere else to go. You couldn't have put a sheet of paper between him and the guard rail. That guy was a damned good driver to have avoided that collision. I was already backing off so as not to get caught up in it, because I just knew I was about to see that truck either go over the edge of the bridge or bounce back across my lane. Deputy Dipstick made a quick exit off the highway at the very next exit, probably to clean out his shorts.

I have two sons. One's a cop and the other is a trucker, so I have a lot of respect for both professions. But this time, the cop was definitely in the wrong. And he KNEW it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Not one of us have driven without doing something incorrect. I'd also like to think everyone of us is out there doing our best to be safe and we all worry about other drivers on the road. That being said, I've seen drivers reading newspapers, working on computers, texting on telephones, talking on telephones, going through their folder of CD's, trying to tune the radio, fix their hair, put on their lipstick, pick zits while looking in the mirror, reading novels, reading maps, adjusting their gps, changing DVD's in the kids portable player, eating, drinking, changing clothes, drinking several different alcoholic beverages, smoking different organic plants and playing grab@$$ with the other passengers in the car. And everyone of those drivers will insist on honking their horn, shaking their fist and flipping people off if someone does something stupid that jeopardizes their safety. Please everybody be safe and do the best you can when driving. Wear your seat belts, turn your lights on, keep your car in good repair, and... It only takes a second to lose your opportunity to reach your destination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:45 am:

Micheal - Having been born & raised in Chicago, and literally growing up with the expressways in that area in the '50's, and lots of Interstate driving in the ten years I lived & worked in Montana, and by now, about 35 years in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I think I have seen about everything you just mentioned that people foolishly do to relieve their monotony while making their boring daily "commute", however, just the day before yesterday, coming home on I-405 through Bellevue, WA., I witnessed what believe was, to me, the "grandaddy" of them all! A guy who appeared to me to be approx. middle age or so, driving by himself in a full sized very nice car, was practicing the clarinet! I kid you not, I took a second look to be sure, and sure enough,....he was apparently trying to steady (???) the steering wheel with his knees, had the mouthpiece in his mouth, and "BOTH" hands operating the keys while actively playing the clarinet! "UNBELIEVEABLE"!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:19 am:

Well, hey; maybe his radio quit working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Speaking of unusual things seen on the road, years ago when I was truckin', I was headed north on Michigan Road just south of I465 in Indianapolis when I looked to my right. There was a Chinese/Indian or some sort of foreign restaurant on the next block over. It was morning and the place hadn't opened yet. There was a semi in the parking lot which seemed odd to me. Even odder though was the apparent driver is this truck was standing in the parking lot playing a bagpipe. Odd? You betcha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:02 am:

The first thing I thought of was -- what would happen if the clarinet playing guy had an accident.

Would his brain become meat on a stick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Bagpipes = mechanized fingers on a chalkboard.

Some years back, a clown, complete with bagpipes and kilted outfit, decided he'd
serenade the rest of the people working in an office building by playing his bags down
in the parking lot during his lunch and breaks. It was spring, the weather was nice,
and windows were open.

The captive audience let Mr. Piper know exactly how they felt about that gawdawful
noise, but he kept at it, day after day. After a week of this, at one particular concert,
the bagpipe screeching came to an odd, drifting-away sort of sound. I walked to the
window to see Mr. Piper picking his ass up off the ground, holding his head to stem
the flow of blood from a fresh wound. In the aftermath we learned that someone had
taken his refusal to practice elsewhere as a ticket to launch a beer bottle in his general
direction, scoring a direct head shot in the process.

While not a very nice thing to do, the ample warnings and imposition of his insistence,
and my own belief that the only thing worse than bagpipes is cancer, made the whole
incident rather amusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Jim. your link to the most dangerous job gave some data from Australia.
You are lucky that you are not driving a big rig in Australia. They often pull two and three large trailers behind that one tractor. I have seen that in the "out back" as they call it. I was amazed that those rigs seem to be able to go down the road without weaving all over the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

Willie,

Yes Indeedy ....

The oddest thing I saw was several years ago on a country road in the morning - a guy had shave cream on his face & neck and was shaving using his rear view mirror
while driving towards me & the rising sun behind me ....

He was doing a pretty good job too ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:54 am:

Probably on his way to (late for) a job interview !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 04:22 am:

There was a guy in CA along I-5 that was 20 years old
not wearing a seatbelt - rolled his car & was ejected up 20 feet and landed on an exit sign Friday morning.

Firefighters needed a tall ladder to peel him off the sign.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

There is more to that story ....

One does not roll their car on the interstate without a stiff dose of stupid involved.

Sounds like a perfect ending. Or did he hurt or kill anyone else on the way out ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Burger,

@ http://ktla.com/2015/10/30/person-apparently-ejected-lands-on-freeway-sign-follo wing-griffith-park-area-crash/

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

I realize it's in poor taste to say anything out of line about the poor soul but those ears and his short flight just somehow conjures up some crazy thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Michael,

About (6) years ago I drove from Denver to Evanston, WY to meet a couple coming from Utah towing a vintage trailer I was buying ....

Coming out of Salt Lake City, UT - a guy in a corvette passed them at a very high rate of speed & continued into a semi truck head on a few miles up the road.

I think some folks just decide to end it one day in traffic.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Jim, your story reminds me of a fella in my home town who left the Sunset Bar in a Corvette at a high rate of speed. The year was around 1964 and the story is he went straight off a 90 degree corner at well over 100 mph. They found the motor torn from its motor mounts close to 100 ft from the rest of the car. I walked down to see the broken wreckage in the back of a dump truck the next day. It looked like a load of broken red plastic. I was 14 years old and now over 50 years later can still vividly see that mess in my mind. They said parts of the driver were still mixed in with the broken pieces and the tree he hit was scarred up to 10 ft above the torn up roots. Though I own a Corvette, I still have a very sober respect for what it can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:18 am:

When I went through Academy, we had a week long course called "Paradigm Training".

Even with 3rd year college Psych courses under my belt, this little study was a real eye
opener to the concept that people really do have very different ways of seeing the world
around them. We get set in our paradigm that all people think in terms of making life better
for ourselves or the safety of themselves and others, etc. .... but it really isn't the case !
Some people honestly see things from very different perspectives. Some times it is just
plain naivety, other times it is youthful arrogance, and some people we'll just never understand !!!

It blows my mind that almost every morning or evening I will see someone driving down
my 25 mph street going 40+ !!! I live one block from an elementary school and 4 blocks
from a middle school ! The street is crawling with kids, and some dish!t who is late for
work (once again) thinks they'll make up time by running the Grand Prix on our residential
streets !

Now, let's review .... we all watch or listen to the news. Unless one lives in the upper
Amazon, they are well aware of the litigious nature of U.S. culture these days. So, how
is it that so many people have the mental disconnect that after running over someone's
kid in such a blatantly negligent manner as this, that they will not end up paying 96 of
every dollar that they earn ,for as long as they live, to pay for the now mangled kid (if he/
she survives), or to the family of the killed ?

Do people really believe they are so "bulletproof" ???

Apparently the kid on the news clip above felt he was entitled to pass people on the freeway
shoulder at a high rate of speed, regardless of laws or the obvious safety risks to himself
or the multitude of innocents in his path.

Just amazing ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

After retiring I got into escorting oversize loads for a couple years. Got me out of the house, learned a lot about trucking, saw a lot of country and earned a few bucks. Wish I had kept a log on the idiot things I'd seen people do. One that always irked me was the drivers that would speed up to pass an oversize load just to cut off the truck to get to an exit. People have no idea how much it takes to bring one of these loads to a stop. I got a real appreciation for the skill of the o/s load drivers and the experience made me a better, more patient, driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

There are times when nature finds it necessary to thin the herd. It's to natures advantage, the human species, has a strong desire to satisfy those requirements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 01:34 am:

Burger, more than once I've had a "chat" with clowns speeding up and down the street where my kids (and now grandkids) live. Never had to do it more than once to the same idiot. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration