Rear axle lube question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear axle lube question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Now that I have my rear axle completely reassembled
I need to fill it with oil. I plan to use the 85-140 product. The axle unit will be sitting on jack stands in my unheated garage all winter. Is it better to leave it empty and put it in next spring or fill it up now ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I'd do it now. Oil prevents rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:51 am:

If you leave it empty there's always a risk you'll forget to fill it before starting to run it - and that'll be expensive. The oil won't be damaged by sitting in the axle over the winter.
Do you have modern neoprene seals on the inside of the outer Hyatts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Do it now and run or rotate the parts to get lube on everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

Yes, I put in the modern inner oil seals, also the modern outer grease seal. I will put the oil in now and rotate the assembly several times. The drive shaft is installed with the U-Joint on it I can rotate the U-Joint with a wrench easily.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration