Second crank balance question. Please advise before I screw up.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Second crank balance question. Please advise before I screw up.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

How far out of balance could a T crank be? Enough to have balanced if not planning to go more than 45 mph +/-?

If the crank is close to being in balance, is it best to remove material from the crank to balance rather than adding weights?

Should the crank be balanced with or with out the flywheel attached? Or balance both separately?

I'm having issues with machine shops who still work on T engines. Does anyone hear do machine/balance work for hire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

I wouldn't worry about it. Balancing the flywheel/triple gear assy. and trans drums will most likely take care of 80% of your balance concerns. Don't forget to balance the fan blade also. They can shake more than you would imagine.

If you want a balanced crank, get a Scat. I would never whittle away a stock T crank. Not enough steel there to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

I would ask Joe Bell as mine is smooth!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

A model T crank isn't heavy enough to have a real balance problem in the RPM range it will see. There isn't anyplace where you can remove weight without compromising it. Leave it alone and have the flywheel, drums and triple gears balanced. Balance the rods and pistons as well and you will have done all you can. It makes a big difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Check the transmission shaft for run out. If it is bent no mater how much balancing you do the engine may still run rough....vibrate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:31 am:

Montana 500 racers always balance their cranks. Ford did too, but they didn't have much time to balance them to the gram level, so it can be rewarding to spend some time perfecting it if you're going to run it fast.

Here's Tom Carnegie's article on how to balance your crankshaft dynamically at home:
http://antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/septnewsletter/page4.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

Thank you, Roger, and Tom. ds in Bellingham wa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Balance, Balance BALANCE. Everything works better when in balance is true. 45 is fast enough to gain from the time and effort it takes to balance.

Don't forget the wheels. I use Dynabeads and they work fantastic.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration