Front wheel bearings '27 T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front wheel bearings '27 T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:35 am:

I just removed the front wheel bearings on my '27 T to inspect and repack them for the first time since I have owned it. How tight should they be? I have never dealt with a roller bearing with a threaded inner race before. These bearings were really tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I put mine on tight enough that there is some drag then back the bearing out maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Spin the wheel, if it wants to keep spinning and does not feel like there is any side play in the bearing put the washer/nut/cotter pin in and call it good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:55 am:

If you mean how close do you adjust them, I usually run the threaded race all the way in, then back off maybe a quarter turn or so. I like a little bit of play in them. Remember this however, no matter how you've got the bearing adjusted, it will always get tighter when you snug up the lock nut so, take that into account and recheck after tightening the lock nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Thanks for the response, guys. What I take away from this is that they should be set pretty much the same way as any other tapered roller bearing.
This (to me) is a rather odd design. Why did Ford go to the trouble of threading the inner race? As far as I can see, all that it (the threaded race) does is make the bearing more expensive. This is counter to Ford's normal philosophy about cost.
BTW: The bearings were set so tight that I had to use a 1/2" ratchet and a socket to loosen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

John, If you are referring to the lock nut it should be tight. Aligning the cotter pin will somewhat dictate how tight is tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

John

The design of the Ford outer bearing with threaded race is to allow the 'loading' you are doing, adjusting the cone with a wrench 'til the wheel revolves smoothly. Normally after you are done, and have fitted and tested, you can grasp that front wheel, and spin it slowly, and the wheel will stop at the same place each time. Kinda like a balance check, that way you have the bearing set right on.

The threaded inner race will stay put in the adjustment, locked there with the keyed washer and the nut with it's cotter.

You want to adjust the greased bearing until the wheel feels a slight drag, not much, but surely no wobble or super fast free spinning. Just right is a trial and error method, using the wrench to hold the race as you set the cone. Then fasten the washer and nut.

Without the threaded race, its real hard to get adjustment of the cone in a Model T front hub.

Model A front bearings have no threaded insert, and shouldn't be used over the T threaded spindle, as there is slop.
The A design front bearing uses a different method, as the A spindle has a machined area for the 'slip fit' of the inner race of the A front bearing.

Model A front bearing fits to its machined Model A spindle. Different than the T bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

Some may, (or may not), misunderstand my meaning when I say, "...it will always get tighter when you snug up the lock nut so, take that into account and recheck after tightening the lock nut."

I know the keyed washer prevents the lock nut from turning the cone when it's snugged up. What causes the bearing to get tighter when the lock nut is tightened is that the clearance in the threads, between the cone & spindle, is taken up in one direction when tightening the cone, then pushed in the other direction when tightening the lock nut. The difference, while slight, can cause a nicely adjusted bearing to then become a bit too tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

You can do a million miles with a slightly loose bearing but only a few miles if slightly to tight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Right you are Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Ditto what Jerry V said.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration