What is the differance in front axles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is the differance in front axles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Parsons on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

I have the axle in the first picture on my 1922 touring. Don't know if it original to the car. The axle has a different shape to it than all the other axles I have. Other two pictures show other axles I have that all look the same.
Can anyone tell me about the axle on my 1922?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Parsons on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

I measured the axles they all are appox 53 inches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Magas on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

The axle on the car looks like a 1926-27 because of the curve between the perches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:00 pm:

Yes, Walt has it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

There are several threads already on the site that go into detail on the different front axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Like most pieces of our beloved model T, it is not quite that simple. While most people for many years believed that "all model T front axles are the same"? It just ain't so. There were a lot of minor changes over the years. For a couple years in the early '20s they even had a date forged into them (usually around '21 or '22). Most axles from the mid '10s till the mid '20s were very straight (flat) on the bottom. On the other hand, I have seen several apparently brass era axles that had a slight sway to them. I am not the expert on this, and, maybe they were bent, straightened, changed?
Then in the mid '20s, some sway seems to begin to show up again. And many, but apparently not all, '26/'27 axles had a definite sway to them, like yours.
Axles were made by the Dodge Brothers mostly in the beginning, then a half dozen different companies on and off through the years. Many changes, I don't think they have been noted accurately enough yet.

But what I find MOST interesting? Is the third of your three pictures. We need more and better pictures of that axle! The photo only shows one spindle, the left one (viewer's right). It is a one piece spindle. Either it is a very rare and early one piece spindle on a later axle? Or it is an equally rare, well documented, and nearly unheard of 1921 one-piece spindle used by Ford for only a couple months.
Either way. It is something special. And we need to see better pictures to know which it is!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

A pair of those 1921 one-piece spindles, at Hershey this year, rare is the word, same with the price ...yikes!, and that's not $4.50/pr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:07 am:

Yep, axle on left is VERY LATE production front axle. No idea why the design change, but it forecasts the Model A Front Axle shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:43 am:

David, if I'm not mistaken, that curve was put in the late axles to allow clearance for the lower (straighter) spring. The clamp may have come in contact with the axle without it. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:05 am:

Ah, yes, that makes sense! I hadn't thought about the lower-arched spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:54 am:

The axle folks are referring to as the 26-27 front axle was actually introduced in 1926. It has a dip in the middle. The reason the dip was placed in he middle of the front axle was in Ford's attempt to,lower the height of the car for the improved models they changed to a front spring with less arch than the ones used before mid-1925. The lower, flatter front spring occasionally allowed the front motor mount to strike the top of the front axle when the car hit a bump in the road. To make sure that the front motor mount and spring clip cleared the front axle, the middle of the front axle was lowered.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration