Front Spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front Spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

How many leafs is there to a 26-27 touring front spring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Mine has seven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Eight leaf front spring on '26-'27. p/n 3800B

p/n 3800 is '25 & earlier, seven leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

It's also flatter and thus one inch lower than the '09-'25 style front spring.

There is a note in the archives from February 4, 1926 saying 8 leaf front springs now was standard on improved Fords, so maybe some 1926 model cars were made with 7 leaf springs before that date?

We have seen in Donnie's threads that the '26 cars were changed in many areas during the winter 1925/26, maybe this is another?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

It's my understanding that the 26-27 open cars had a 7 leaf as the closed cars had 8. I read something about the extra body weight having something to do with this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I have seven leafs in mine, and the plate that goes under the bottom of the spring is touching the cross over that houses the spring. I could use 2 more nuts on the bolts. I must be missing something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

I was told couple years ago I needed a 9 leaf spring. Maybe I have the wrong spring clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

1926/27 Touring cars & roadsters had 8 leaf springs front & rear,with the front being a low profile.Roadster pickup & Fordor had a rear nine leaf spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Thanks a lot Bill! I know where I can get one. And thanks everyone else. You guys are the greatest!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:54 am:

The late '25s also use the 8 leaf front spring. Even though it has one more leaf, it gives you a one inch drop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

That answered all my questions, thanks so much.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration