OT - (4) tires & (2) rims w/ 400 miles to go ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - (4) tires & (2) rims w/ 400 miles to go ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

This haul will go into my record book ...

In the past week I have had to replace:

In 2400 miles - (4) non repairable tread punctures along w/ (2) ruined rims on relatively new ST radial trailer E load range 15" tires ..

Radiator - water pump - serpentine belt - belt tensioner - (2) idler pullies ...

And I still have 400 miles until I deliver ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

Don't buy any lottery tickets this trip. With the way your luck is going if they draw your number you'll owe them money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Sooner or later things begin to happen. It usually does when you are going along seemingly just fine then )%#@&^%^&**(((**&%##-------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Illinois is so broke, that they reward you with an IOU when you win the lottery. Funny thing is that they are still selling tickets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Jim, would it be worth it or feasible to put a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system on your trailer and/or your truck?
http://www.doranmfg.com/fleet-truck-tire-pressure-monitors-doran-360hd.htm
Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Ken that's what I was going to suggest. It can sure save a lot of damage.

Don't think it'll help the water pump / radiator issues though... That sounds Bad.

Better Luck on the last 400

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Ken,

I tried (2) different aftermarket brands that screw on the valve stems - neither can send a signal far enough - my trailer is just about 40 feet long.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Well,

I greeted the day w/ a dead battery - I have (2) so one was just enough to crank the diesel motor enough to catch & start.

I bought new battery & replaced the alternator to be safe ..

Only 50 miles left to go .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

WOW! did you ever think of just staying in bed? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Dennis,

The last time I had this many things go wrong with a haul was about two years ago when I transported the Model T snowmobile....

I have never had to buy (4) trailer tires on a single trip before.

The tires that got screws - bolts - staples all picked them up right next to sidewall so they could not be repaired ....

I now carry (2) mounted trailer spares.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:46 am:

Hang in there, and drive carefully! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 03:56 am:

Hey, the snowmobile was the one that was reportedly haunted, wasn't it?
So maybe some former truck driver really really doesn't want the current load moved..

Any reports of further disturbances at the museum around the snowmobile?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 04:18 am:

Roger,

Yes - the haunted snowmobile featured in the magazine.

I did not really have the same experience this trip.

It was just a costly haul.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Jim, down here in the southland they would say you were "snakebit" !

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:49 am:

THINGS HATE PEOPLE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:51 am:

S--t comes in piles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Jim, glad you finally made it, hopefully things will settle down.

I didn't see a post update on it, but I take it that you shook off the gold bug? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:30 am:

"The tires that got screws - bolts - staples all picked them up right next to sidewall so they could not be repaired .."

I've had tubeless tires that I was told were unrepairable, so I just put a tube in them and carried on. You just have to be sure to get tubes that are rated for tubeless tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Well,

I think I will try 12 or 14 ply trailer tires like the folks who haul animals use on their livestock & horse trailers.

Now that Fall & Winter have arrived the road temps won't be a favor with a thicker & heavier tire.

I am taking I-40 back the to haul to Las Vegas, NV from OH next week so I will see if I get more flats ...

Still have prospecting on my list of things to do.

Freighter Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration