Old Photo - Model T Era - Downtown Colfax Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Model T Era - Downtown Colfax Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Colfax, CA or Colfax, WA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Colfax, Iowa?

Just wondering.....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

1920 + or -. A horse-drawn wagon is still in use patiently being followed by what looks like a center-door.
Another nice slice of American town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Granger, Washington on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

It is Colfax Washington. I have a copy of this picture given to me by a friend who grew up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Colfax, Washington. Never been there but the bank building is still there.

Doesn't seem to be a bank anymore.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

When I was a young boy, in the early '40s I visited my grand parents every summer who had a wheat ranch outside of Colfax (toward Garfield) and whenever we went to town (Colfax) my grand father would point out that bank and tell me the story of a bank robbery at that bank. Here is what I just "googled" and found this brief story.

Colfax, WA - Machine Gun Kelly Bank Robbery
On Sept 21, 1932, Machine Gun Kelly, Ed Bentz , and others robbed the bank that previously stood on this site in Colfax, Washington - - at the northeast corner of Main and Spring Streets. Over $70,000 was "withdrawn" from the bank during the robbery. No shots were fired. This was one of the only known occurrences of a bank robbery west of the Rockies carried out by one of the well known depression era Mid-west based gangs. Apparently the old bank was replaced by the present structure in the 1960's. Photo taken in July 2009. Source: Whitman County Historical Society, 1995 & Public Enemies (Burrough).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:00 am:

That description says the bank building was replaced??? Note in above modern view that building at the end of the block also still is standing--can't tell about any of the buildings in-between

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:17 am:

You will notice that they moved the hill in the background farther out of town
since that T era photo was taken.

Once again, this photo amply demonstrates America doing its best to erase all
things cool and bury it under a sterilized blanket of yuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:27 am:

Colfax was a happenin' place in the 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Colfax was the hub of the Palouse LONG before Spokane was even thought of. It wasn't until the
Northern Pacific RR (later changed their name to NPRY) came through what is now Spokane on their
way to the Pacific did anyone think to live there. The NP's transcontinental status (connected 1883)
made Spokane the "hub" and put Colfax 60 miles down a branch line and Colfax quickly faded as
the major town in the region.

Wish I could walk into that photo and have a look up and down that street !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:21 am:

Burger - That was my first thought too when I first brought up this thread. That if I could go back in time and just walk up one side of that street and back on the other side, it would have been the best car show EVER!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Just to add 1 more thing. Colfax once had a college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:40 am:

Colfax California is a railroad town. Not much there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Harold, .... the cars would be great, but I'd be looking at the streetlights, the
windows, the bank furniture, the store stock, EVERYTHING ! I can see old cars
all the time. It's all that Victorian/Gilded Age detail stuff I love to see. :-)

Note how it is all stripped off the surviving old buildings in the recent photo ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

The locals here call Colfax a little drinking town with a railroad problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

LOVE these old photos and the "after" pics!! Thanks!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Colfax, CA once had two railroads in it, the SP (now UP) and the Nevada County Narrow Gauge. If you know where to look, you can still see the grade, and at least about 15 years ago, the rails were still in the main highway crossing (NCNG was abandoned around 1941 (can't find my book), so the rails still being there was amazing to me.).

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration