Tire cracking. Has the issue been solved?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tire cracking. Has the issue been solved?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Most of us know the cracking sidewall issue on new tires. Now that another driving season has gone by, there has to be some experience with the newest tires. I installed a new set of Wards Riverside tires 14 months ago. I bought them from Snyders who had them in stock. Some say in stock tires can be dry but, mine were dripping wet.They have seen lots of miles and are more than half gone. I'm happy to report that I have no sidewall cracks whatsoever. Anyone else? Please try to keep this discussion centered on tire that are about one year old or less. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

It does not surprise me that your new tires would be in good shape. One I would think that it would look bad on a business to sell them, and no doubt synders goes through hundreds of tires a year. And that those who make the tires no doubt make just so many each year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

The cracking on the sidewalls that I have seen was an issue around 2006 or 2007-ish. On the ones I saw, you could see cracks in the sidewalls just about 2 months after they were mounted and aired up. I had two customers that didn't want them sent back to the manufacturer (because cost of shipping, or they weren't real worried about it at the time) and those tires became severely cracked in a couple years.

If you mount the tires right away, air them up properly, and you don't see any "issues" within six months time, odds are very very good they will not develop any issues with cracking.

The GOLDEN RULE when purchasing tires, is to MOUNT THEM ON THE RIMS and AIR THEM UP within a few days of arrival. The warranty from the tire manufacturers is generally 1 year against defects and starts the day you buy them. You also usually have to ship the defective tires back to them at your cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

I have two tires on my T that are just under a year old, the others are about three years old, and none show any sign so cracking in the sidewall, and I can not tell the new from the old, I suspect I could measure the depth of the tread and be able to tell.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration