OT How to check dates on tires.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT How to check dates on tires.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

interesting video exposes the problem with a few major retailers who were caught selling very old tires to consumers. Watch the video and you will understand why it is important to check the manufacturing dates on all tires that you purchase.

http://www.howtohq.com/check-tire-age/ almost 10 minutes long but important

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:12 am:

It was brought to my attention that some states inspect motor homes for older tires. I was looking at my motor home's front tires, that appear to be in new condition are greater than 10 years old that is the maximum age. With a closer inspection there is evidence of fine hair line cracking in the walls and therefore they have to be replaced, even though they look new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:18 am:

LOl,The two front tires on my old 8N tractor were put on in 1954.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:49 am:

I'm still running some 6 ply jeep tires on my 54 NAA Ford tractor I put on in the 70's and they were old then!
Are they cracked? of course they are but they are good enough for shredding in mesquite pastures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Guys, Here is an article that I wrote several years ago and have updated to current DOT regulations. It mostly applies to motorcycle tires, but does have application to any tire used on the street. As for farm equipment, if it holds air use it, in my opinion.

application/download
TIREART1.pdf (10.1 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:41 am:

A directly related matter:

In 2006 we purchased a new boat and trailer. The trailer is a single axle unit and is equipped with a spare tire, so 3 tires altogether. Within the first 2 years (and not very many miles) all 3 tires failed. It turned out that the tires were fine. It was the stems that failed. Apparently when the wheels were assembled old stems that had been on the shelf for a long time were used.

I can attest to the fact that when a stem lets go at speed it's no different than a tire letting go. Either way is an attention getter!

Moral of the story: If you're gonna take the time to check the age of your tires, take a good look at the stems too. They won't be marked with a date like the tires, so wiggle them and look for cracks. If it's gonna fail, much better to do so in your driveway than on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Big Rigs are very fussy with front tires as a result you rarely see a large transport with a front flat. It is common to see cold caps scattered all over the place on the highways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

I have survived 2 catastrophic failures on Motorcycles (one of them on the front tire) both happened at speeds in excess of 65 MPH and neither resulted in a crash. Both were due to "old" tires. When they asked me how I brought the bike to a stop I said I didn't touch the brakes! both were very wild rides< I always check the dates now :-) drive safe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

2 years ago I traded my 29 Chev coupe (driven often) that had S-3 tires all around. I'm told that was the "rationed" tires during WW II.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Jack, that may be true that your tractor has 61 year old tires that still hold air, but then again, they're not buzzing down the highway at 65 mph either. I doubt they'd make it 20 miles at that speed! Just sayin.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration