T Model Car Wash

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: T Model Car Wash
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Hello All,
Quick question: Does anyone on here wash their car with soap and water? I have a car show i want to haul my T Model to tomorrow and she is really dusty. In the past I have always wiped down with a dry cloth. That seems to just move the dust around. Looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ireland, Montrose, Iowa on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Rob. Yes,sure do. Bucket with a little Dawn dish soap and a wash mitt. Rinse with the hose and dry with a damp chamoise and your good to go. Happy T'ing. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:53 am:

If my car is extremely dusty I'll use a gentle stream of water from an open hose end first, to "raise" the dust off the paint. Then I gently wipe down with a micro-fiber cloth. Dave, wash mitts are indeed very good, but be careful the nap in them can be prone to gather "scratchy material" without you even knowing it. Even with microfiber you have to be real careful. I don't use a M/F towel to many times then I turn it into a "junk rag" so as not to completely waste it. I buy them by the dozen. Go through two dozen a year at least between dusting, washing and polishing brass. I'm anal about keeping paint as scratch free as possible.

If the car is "lightly dusty" I mist it down with Wizards "Mist and Shine" and wipe down with the microfiber cloth. Works great, even makes the paint shine more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Here's the advice Ford gave in the 1921 and 1926 Owners Manuals:

"What is the proper way to wash the Car? Answer No. 108
  Always use cold or lukewarm water---never hot water. If a hose is used, don't turn on the water at full force, as this drives the dirt into the varnish and injures the finish. After the surplus mud and grime have been washed off take a sponge and clean the body and running gear with a tepid solution of water and Ivory or linseed oil soap. Rinse off with cold water; then rub and polish the body with a chamois skin. A body or furniture polish of good quality may be used to add luster to the car. Grease on the running gear may be removed with a gasoline-soaked sponge or rag. The nickeled parts may be polished with any good metal polish."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert in Georgia on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:17 am:

If my car was ready for the road I would be using Mothers products! Mothers car care products work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Not a show car.

Dish soap & cold water.

Rinse & dry with a towel. Be careful to avoid spraying inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Wash My Model T ???
You have to be Kidding - a dirty T is a happy T :-)

OK - seriously - I almost have paint on my 19 so I wipe it down with MMO after using soap and water.
The wood gets Old English Furniture polish.

A close friend says that I should use WD-40 because the military showed that it is better than all the expensive stuff used to prevent oxidation of metal, but WD-40 seems to be a bit too modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:47 am:

Hahaha well like Steve my car is NOT a show car. At some point in the 70's my grandfather brush painted it and that is still the paint that is on it today. Here are a few pictures after the wash. The patina comes out nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:50 am:

I think its worth mentioning in my short time owning the T I have been to about 5 car shows. In that time I have noticed a few things:
1. I always have the oldest car there.
2. The T always gets the most looks even though its not real pretty.
3. People are genuinely fascinated by the car.
4. Most people have never seen one in real life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Just dust? leaf blower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

First, hose away the loose dirt. _It's better than rubbing it in.

If you want to remove the wax on your car, use Dawn dish-washing liquid. _If you don't want to remove the wax from your car, get a bottle of non-wax removing car wash soap from your local auto store.

Microfiber towels are reputed to clean without scratching and they absorb lots of water, so they're great for drying the car, too. _ Obviously, make sure the towels are very clean and free of any grit.

If your car is of the brass variety, do the car washing part before the brass polishing part. _Do not wax any brass part that is going to get hot (radiators, acetylene headlamps, oil-lamps) because when wax gets hot, it melts (of course) and clouds up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

I'm with Charlie B. on this topic - the Centerdoor doesn't like to get too wet !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Rob Hughes' comments made me think about my car show experiences.
I have been to 4 shows with my 19 T and received a Trophy at each one.

1. I always have the oldest car there.
In my case there was a beautiful brass T at one of the shows. I got 1st and he got second in the pre-`1950 division

2. The T always gets the most looks even though its not real pretty.
I agree Not being pretty makes it stand out.

3. People are genuinely fascinated by the car.
I help their interest by standing near the car to answer questions instead of pulling out a lawn chair and sitting near the back. I allow the "little kids" to sit in it and start it with the crank once-in-awhile. I also have a small board with the history of the car that I lean against the front wheel and a double sided 8.5x 11 handout with the same info for those that show a strong interest.

4. Most people have never seen one in real life.
Probably true but they can't say that after encountering my T :-)

Just doing my part to keep the hobby alive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

I'm a car cleaning fanatic and agree with everything Bob Coiro said. Stay away from dish washing soap unless a dead paint job is what you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

A clean car is a sign of a sick mind!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Steve,
Your Centerdoor is too pretty to drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Stop by Walmart and pick up one of these. http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Original-California-Car-Dash-Duster/20896227 Work great for just dust. Won't remove dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Every couple of years I do what Dave Ireland said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Soap and water! Oh no :-(

If caught out in the rain, Nellie gets a quick spray of WD-40 and buff with a Scotch brite pad!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration