Farewell to the Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Farewell to the Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:30 am:

From the Jackson Citizen Patriot newspaper. Jackson, Michigan. May 18, 1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Very interesting! Thanks, Steve

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:53 am:

They were very optimistic about the time it took to engineer and retool the factories for the new Model A.. Production started October 20, '27, but they weren't up for sale at the dealers until December 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:51 am:

There is also a book by almost the same title: Farewell To Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

It's interesting that at least one segment of the Ford customer base didn"t find the Model T outdated or obsolete as sometimes reported. Or perhaps it was just local government inertia, implying that approving a new model would slow down the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Or they were afraid of having to train everyone on how to use a stick-shift??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Didn't Ford say they would make parts "until the last Model T was off the road"? Here it says "five years". Did they expect all the Ts to be gone in five years? Regardless, they were wrong or they lied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Ford built Model T engines until nearly the end of 1941. I'm thinking that except for WWI, they might have continued to build "T" engines even longer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Since Ford built T engines until 1941 did that mean a complete engine assembly or just the short block. They may have continued to make transmission also.
I can remember in the early 60's reading in J.C. Whitney catalogs a section for Model T and A parts.
You could buy a rebuilt T transmission for 75.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Purchased for 2$ at local antique shop.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Yes, a classic tribute....

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1936/05/16/farewell-my-lovely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

John, the numbered engines they built were always complete, spare blocks weren't numbered. It's likely production of blocks was running about as long as the production of complete engines. Then it's likely parts were available from Ford's warehouses to be ordered by local dealers until they were sold out, like until the mid/late 40's maybe? Then other suppliers filled up the aftermarket demands when Ford no longer saw any profits in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

When I restored my coupe in 1976 I bought the new tires from the current Sears catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Dick, that was a great article, i really enjoyed reading that. It seems the love still continues.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration