Coker Tire Ford Whitewall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Coker Tire Ford Whitewall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Hello,

Learned at Hershey this year that Coker Tire will produce a correct Ford Scripted Whitewall Tire if they can sell 300 or more tires. I would love to have these on my T and I'm sure many other T owners would, too! Pass the word!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Great! I wonder if they can make them with an uneven parting line between black and white, just like 1916-23? :-)

17 tire

Original smooth 1917 front tire from the Rip Van Winkle car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathon Boyer on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

I would like to get a petition together and maybe get these tires produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I would be interested in buying some. Would they be made in both 30" sizes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:39 am:

I would take 4 each 30" X 3" and 4 each 30" X 3 1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:29 pm:

Would these be smooth or have tread?

If treaded, I'd take 5 30"x 3 1/2"

If smooth, I'd add another 2 30"x 30 3 1/2 and 2 30 x 3 to the order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Correction to last sentence;

If smooth, I'd add another 2 30"x 3 1/2" and 2 30x 3" tires to the order.

Not 230.....(not that rich)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Jon, the best petition would be a stack of Benjamins. I know I'd buy a set 2-30X3's 2-30X3 1/2's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

A few years ago I worked with Corky To get smooth no tread tires grey for early brass cars. I ended up getting orders for over 400 tires.

Corky provided a number of different color samples until we got a color that matched some early grey tires I had on hand.

It took nearly a year to get everything to our satisfaction, then Cocker produced 30x3 and 30x3-1/2's, smooth no tread grey's. I will tell you Corky is easy to work with and the Coker tire company will do what it takes to provide what the customer will purchase. As long as you understand just because the orders are placed it will still take a lot of lead time to make the molds perfect then actually produce the tire. Then the shipping from Viet Namn if that is where they are still being manufactured. Expect a year lead time and you won't be disappointed.

As soon as I let the word out I had orders for nearly 200 tires. Then during the time we were experimenting with colors another 100 or so, by the time we needed to make the production decision, I had orders for just at 400 tires. I did not take pre delivery deposits just a verbal or email commitments. As I remember just about 100% of those guys came through with their orders. All in all it was a great experience and quite rewarding to see those smooth grey tires on so many early brass cars and modle t's.

With rich guy Les Gitt's taking 230 tires you're more than 1/2 way there. Hold him to his original commitments. He's got the money he just needs to take one of those antiquated John Deer's out and plow up a couple of tomato cans full of money.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Here's the response I got to my emailed inquiry. If you want the tires, let 'em know

There is not any official news available regarding this. However, if you would like, I can fill out an unavailable product inquiry form. If we have enough inquiries, there is always a chance. I will just need some information from you:

Name, Address, Phone, Email, Club Affiliation (if applicable), Quantity interested in, Size, Brand/Type, Requirements/Intended service, Vehicle Fitments, and any additional info.

If you will provide me with this information, I will pass along the product inquiry to the powers that be.

Andrew Randall
Sales Associate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Regardless of tread or color, it would be great of they made the tires to actual, historic dimensions.

With the exception of the Coker Commander (now Excelsior), the 30 x 3 tires are too bulbous and look like big, fat donuts, almost cartoonish. The three different styles of Firestones - smooth, tread and Non-Skid, are ridiculously fat and don't look correct on the front wheels of early Fords.

Also, it would be great if true, nominal 30 x 3.5 tires were made instead of 30 x 3.5 oversize. In other words, actually 30 inches in diameter.

Examples of oversize vs nominal 30 x 3.5 tires:

- 1930s or earlier Wards Riverside "blem" or "second" - slight defect in the bead so the Wards Riverside name was ground off - oversize

- 1950 Wards Riverside -oversize purchased new by my father

- 1920s Trailblazer Cord - true 30 inch

- 1920s/1930s Goodyear - true 30 inch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

The Firestone "Non Skid" tires available from Coker are made to nominal (not oversize) dimensions. They come in many sizes including 30 X 3 and 30 X 3 1/2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Just my opinion -

To my eyes, the Coker Commander/Excelsior 30 x 3 have a thinner profile ("section width") and look more period correct compared to the other brands/tread, even if they are all 30" nominal diameter.

Based on the specs on on Coker's website, there isn't much variation in section widths, but to me, there seems to be a huge difference when actually seeing these different brands on the Model Ts themselves.

Section widths of 30 x 3 tires:
- Coker Excelsior: 2.80"
- Coker Smooth: 2.95"
- Firestone Smooth: 3.00"
- Firestone Non-Skid: 3.00"
- Firestone Bias Ply: 3.90" (must be a typo as the specs match the 30 x 3.5 size on Coker's website)

Also, when I've compared the Coker Smooth to the Firestone Smooth when looking at actual cars, to my eye the Cokers Smooth look substantially thinner and more period correct, even though according to the website, the profile is only .05" between the two. The Firestones just seem to be bulbous to me.

Maybe I should start carrying a pair of calipers to car shows and see if there is really a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

30 X 3 tires should be 3" wide and tall if they are nominal size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hollenbaugh on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:11 am:

You can put me down for 2 30X3's and 2 30X3 1/2 whitewall tires with treads of some kind.
I purchased a set of these when they were available back in the 80's and wondered why they stopped making them.
Jerry Hollenbaugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Doing a little rough math... Looking at what black "Firestone" clinchers go for, and what other white wall tires go for... And then adding the "Ford licensing fee"...

I would reasonably expect that "Ford script" whitewall clincher tires would likely sell for around $325 each... $1,300.00 per car before tubes, flaps, & shipping...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:12 am:

I wonder too if they will stop making the incorrect vulcanized brass stemmed tubes, and start making them correctly? The Model A bunch has the correct tire valves now, but they are still not available on tubes! So much for being original!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration