Speedster on T Bay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Speedster on T Bay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Ford-Model-T-/291602948031?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Pretty nice, looks like an Syverson body kit to me. More than I would pay for it but I'll let the rest of you pick it apart and offer opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Yeah, seems like way too much $$$,.....but then it does look like a nicely built speedster. I find it interesting that a speedster can be built to look very good WITHOUT going to extremes to lower it. That one appears to be built on a '26 - '27 "new-improved" chassis, which is a bit lower than earlier years chassis (stock front spring was flatter & spindles also lowered a bit too on '26 - '27) but to me, it looks just fine. There are ways to lower the rear a bit too without "Zing" the frame and such,....thanks for the post Stan,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

Well, okay,.....the frame does look earlier than '26 - '27, but what's visible of the front end is '26 - '27. Would sure like to know how the rear of the chassis was built because the car sure looks level,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

For that kind of money I would expect an overhead, mag ignition, some skookum carburetion and at the least a Ruckstell or a go faster trans like a Warford or other period correct overdrive. I would also want period wire wheels, more brakes and maybe a little actual racing history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

If it were mine I probably would call it a '10 or '12. The engine number is 1924 and the chassis looks to match that also. The radiator and lights are earlier and the hood is later than '14. It is a nice looking Speedster but the 1914 description is misleading.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

A very pretty car, would look nice in some showroom. Certainly not a speedster build that was intended to be driven. No performance or safety enhancements visible. Way too much money for my wallet but somebody who wants a pretty toy may come close to that if he has way too much money or doesn't know what he's buying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Looks a lot like the Yellow Peril, the first retro brass style speedster built in the early 50's by Dan Post in California that started the comeback of speedster building - especially after it was featured on the cover of the "Model T in Speed and Sport" book.

But this ebay speedster isn't really as good looking as Post's - poor guy that let some pro build it for reportedly $40,000, he'll have a hard time getting half of it back.
Doesn't look much lowered, maybe the springs are flattened somewhat and the fenders lowered to sit closer to the wheels? Maybe that's why the splash aprons has so wide gaps towards the fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

The serial number looks like April, 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:39 pm:

And it only cost $40,000 to get to how it now looks, really?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

This one is 6500 cheaper :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Speedster-/231736900425?forcerrptr=true&has h=item35f4987b49:g:jdkAAOSw5ZBWM-Du&item=231736900425

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:59 am:

I have bid on several speedsters in the last year but haven't bought any yet (came close a couple times being 2nd highest bidder twice)

There are a lot of comparable cars selling under $10k

As Stan said above, for that price it needs some desirable parts. I'd be willing to pay that much for the "right" car, but that one ain't it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

John, I believe #9664200 would have been April of 1924.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

April 7, 1924 to be exact - (just walked past the encyclopedia right now :-) )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration