OT way OT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT way OT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Hi, I use my T sometimes when I do my dutch oven cooking so I think this may fit in. Iam looking at an old cast iron oven that has a porcelain coating that is in very bad shape. I want to remove the coating. Any help? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Scott - If you can't find an old one try getting a new Lodge cast iron Dutch oven from Amazon.
Their prices are reasonable.

We switched from SS to cast iron a few years ago and haven't looked back because the food tastes significantly better.

Here are some pictures of some of the lodge skillets and the big one on the stove with Italian sausage
The 3 Dutch ovens are next to the sink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

If it's Lodge, I guess it has to be good.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

You could ask here.
http://www.wag-society.org/index.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

We had to switch from cast iron to SS because my blood iron was too high. Changing diet and not using cast iron is much cheaper than getting bled each month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Hi guys, Good comments and info from all. I have around 5oo pounds of cast iron cookware. Griddles, skillets camp ovens, Cauldrons and plenty of other stuff. I really like the older stuff. I have some back to 1820. This oven Iam looking at is to far gone to use as is. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Lodge cooking surfaces are too rough. Check a
Wagner or Griswald and look at the cooking surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

This is my favorite kind of cast iron cookware. I had to look a long time to find a large one like Mom had when I was a young youth. It's seven inches wide. Most of them are six inches or less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Scott,

I believe your original question was, how to remove the remaining porcelain finish.

As you probably know, porcelain is melted glass. So it's pretty much inert to any chemical stripper or solvent. The only way that I'm aware of is mechanical removal, such as bead blasting.

We know bead blasting leaves a rough surface. Maybe walnut shell blasting or plastic media would work as well and leave a better finish on the iron. Haven't tried that.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Fred: Here is a big Thank You. Lodge is one of my best customers. Kept buying that iron!!!! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:18 pm:

Dan and to all others, Lodge is the last major producers of cast iron cookware and it is very good. The older stuff was polished inside and has a very smooth finish.
The stuff from china is full of any thing they can find to melt. Old ball bearings, engine blocks and so forth.
I have several Lodge items that I use all the time. And there are plenty of other brands that are also quite good.
Thanks for the
help, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Scott, About the only way to remove the old porcelain, is to sand blast it to bare metal. I assume it is only on the outside, so sand blasting will leave a good enough finish for the outside. I also would like to know if you mean "Dutch Oven" or a regular oven like on a wood stove. ?? We have several hundreds pounds of cast iron cookware ourselves. We use the vast majority of it. Nothing is better than corn bread from an old properly seasoned pan. Most of our :old" cast iron had a good inside finish. But the few pieces that were rusty and slightly pitted. I just took some sandpaper on my DA sander I use for body work and sanded them smooth. I started with 180 grit and worked my way up to 400 grit. Worked out really nice. submitted with respect Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Donnie, I have the Camp Ovens that take the coals on top and have 3 legs and the type with out legs and dome lids.
My group cooks once a month and a few of us do demo,s for the right cause.
I also have a deep pit that I can do 20 Turkeys at a time.
So does my sister and the neighbor. So at Thanksgiving time we have pushed the limit and cooked over 65 birds.
The porcelain is on the inside also I will have to sand the inside smooth after clean up. Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Are you looking for a dutch oven or a cast iron oven like to bake in? If it's a dutch oven how big? That would help people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Hi Mark, I was asking how to clean an oven that has bad porcelain. It looks like a lot of work.
The oven Iam looking at is old and a roaster. I was not asking to buy an oven. But my eyes are always on the look out for cast iron cookware. I find most of my iron at old car swap meets. Thanks everyone for the help, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Well I aint a expert but I was thinking,looks like a chipping hammer like you use to knock slag off stick welds would chip that glass away right easy like? I think I would wear some protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:04 am:

Gustaf: could you donate blood? A coworker had high iron, and he donates every month to keep it down. He is 75.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 01:18 am:

I thought a "dutch oven" was pulling the blankets over "mama's" head after passing gas .... no ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

I had to remove some porcelain from some pieces and took an acetylene torch to it. Most of it popped right off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Chris, I tried donating blood, but with hemochromatosis, the Red Cross will not take it, It used to be the most valuable blood, because most people who needed blood also needed iron. The Red Cross was so bad in the past about buying blood from AIDS victims and drug users, that they are no longer allowed to take blood from a person who is not in perfect health. I figured O+ blood with extra iron would be a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

I'm with Mack. Chipping hammer & goggles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

...on the blood thing - my father was type O-. He gave blood his whole life. I'd like to know how much he donated - gallons, I'm sure. He lived to be 98 but they wouldn't let him give the last couple of years.

Me??? I'm A+. No big demand for that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration