Where can I get this part

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Where can I get this part
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

1926 roadster door, the hole for the side curtain rod. Mine does not have this trim - just a plain hole. What are you using for this trim and where can I get them?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

They were made of pure zinc sheet and I don't think anyone is making them. They have an almost exact shape and profile as a tarp eyelet. If you can find zinc plated ones, you'll be pretty darn close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

I painted mine body color, is that authentic or should they be "natural"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

I'm pretty sure they would have been installed with the trim after the body was painted. The finish would have been pretty shiny at first but would have soon oxidized like the door sill plates. They would have been easily scratched if painted. They're easy to keep shiny if polished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Those zinc escutcheons for the side curtain rod holes were left bright. You can see them shining on old photos. Note the pair on this '26 touring, they are shiny.

They can only be found at swaps, or try to advertise for 'em. I had one spare, but had to use it, as driving down the road heard a 'tink--tink' sound of metal hitting the road, into the grass. Yep, the one on the passenger rear door left and took flight :-( Replacement now has a dab of JB Weld!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

We got 2 for our '26 Roadster Pickup off of rusty, almost worthless doors at a Swap Meet.

Maybe put an ad on the Classified Section and you might get some.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

you can make your Owen out of alum tubing with a tubeing flaring tool, use the back side then finish with a hammer. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, October 30, 2015 - 11:09 pm:

Great idea Charley ! Now it someone will please post a close up photo I can start making them.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Travis

Here you are.....the proper info.

for educational research ref. use only, under terms of Benson Ford Research Library

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Interesting, would really need a stamping machine to produce these "as print" and I think I would add two tabs a little longer on the sides to bend over to keep the dang'd things from coming out on their own! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

you would also need to be a tool& die maker to to build a die to do it that way.!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

I can get these dies right now, close enough for people to buy?

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Travis

Be aware that commercial use, i.e. making parts for sale to others, with the specifications on the Ford drawing I posted as noted for reference use only, will require your written authorization and compensation to the Benson Ford Research Library. Ford owns the part specs on this drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Yea I know, I make a ton of antique gas pump parts and go through the same thing with them.

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

I tried to remove one today from a junk door. I worked on it over an hour, very carefully trying to pry it loose. It was almost like it was "rolled" into the hole with a slight "flair" to the inside. It finally started to crack and even after it broke into two pieces, the inside piece was still hard to get out. I thought I bent it really bad as it leans to one side. But after looking at the drawing there is a 67 degree slant to the part. I am assuming that is so the "flair" is at the same slope as the top of the door, and the "tube" part is plumb with the door so the curtain rod will align with the lower inside hole in the door. I was hoping to re-use it on my rust-bucket very early 26 touring. It is missing two of the grommets. The two that are still in the rust bucket touring are as solid as this one was. I would think "close enough" would work for your own car, but selling them, they would need to be "correct" Hope the pictures of the remains help. submitted with respect, Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Travis.i have been making gas pump sheet metal sense 1984. what do you make???charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Getting closer on custom dies - now I need to figure out how to get the angle right.

Charley shaver - I specialize in exact reproduction conduit, light fixtures, original high head 1920's bolts, dome top cylinder rods etc. that I sell to Scobie and a few other suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

travis. i sell to scobie also & vics old 66 & petro nuts + maney outer people,i make skins and doors & hats. i use to make mod t body metal but it didnt pay very well!!!!!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

I was just in Wally World and went to the sewing section looking for upholstery needles when I saw some aluminum eyelets that look very close to the period pieces you pictured. I think they were under $2.00 for twelve. Perhaps they can be modified to work. Just a thought.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration