Hood lining for brass radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hood lining for brass radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:35 am:

What is the best lining to use where the hood and radiator come together? Do you install the lining on the hood? This is for a 1914 brass radiator. I want to keep my new radiator pretty. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Leather strip.

Crimp the strip under the long tabs on the underside of the hood panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:55 am:

We sell the leather for this, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Leather is authentic, but it dries out and shrinks over time. Insertion rubber works as well and lasts.

Your choice.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

Warvin--Leather is used on the hood. It is very difficult to install the leather as it comes from suppliers. You need to be very careful to not distort the hood by pinching out the metal flange under the hood. I found that I could thin the leather by carefully holding it against a grinding wheel with my thumb on the backside. I could then push the leather into the flange. It may take several thinning attempts. Then I carefully lightly hit the flange with a hammer to tighten the leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

For what it is worth I just glued them in with black RTV. That way I did not have to distort the flange. On a show car that might not be an option but it works on my nice 14 driver.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on November 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Marvin,
Dan is right.I use leather strips on my Hood
on my 1911. Most Motel T suppliers have them.I put a new set on and rotate them from the back to the front of the hood. When they get messed up from the heat of the radiator, I get a new set.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration