Reproduction Motometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reproduction Motometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

I have a reproduction Ford motometer on my car. It was purchased from one of the vendors about 23 years ago. Yesterday my car got hot and the motometer went all the way to the top. I parked the car about 2:00PM yesterday and this morning the engine and radiator has completely cooled but the red is still all the way up. Is there any way to get it down?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Try setting it upright in the freezer.You can "sling" them or lightly tap on a tire and sometimes get them to come down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

You can also mount it on a hand crank bench grinder if you have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:18 am:

I have a repro-motometer too. _Sometimes it behaves nicely, like the simple, red-line thermometer it's supposed to be, and sometimes the temperature indications look like a barber pole. _To fix it, I've done things like tap it with a rubber hammer, I've swung the stupid thing around my head on a cord, boiled it in a pot, put it overnight in my refrigerator and rubber-banded it to my vibrating electric toothbrush—all to no avail. _

The recalcitrant, capricious, gremlin-infested little gizmo works when it damn well pleases and at no other time. _I've made peace with the idea that my motometer is nothing more than a cute, congruous-looking hood ornament that sits atop the equally non-functional, decorative brass wings—and if there isn't steam coming out of the radiator and my feet don't feel like they're on fire, then my coolant temperature is okay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:32 am:

Bob,

So your motometer behaves sort of like a Model T? Welcome to the hobby! Model T's have a since of humor. Sometimes when you have a crowd around and you try to explain how to start a pre-starter car you will have to spin the crank until out are out of breath and the next time it will free start and the crowd will think that you are an old doofus that has no idea what you are talking about!

(Message edited by paulmikeska on November 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:59 am:

And in my experience the doofus part is a function of the square of attractive girls in the crowd!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Oh yeah to that Paul! Ironically, though, I have found that onlookers seem to be more thrilled about a "spin start" as opposed to just a quick "quarter yank". Fortunately though I only have to spin two of the three when they're cold, once warm, that quick yank if not a free start, is all it takes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Instructions on 'tapping' the fluid back to the bulb base. Sometimes it works :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Well, so far I have frozen it, boiled it, froze it right side up, upside down and laying flat. I have bounced it on the spare tire but it won't go down. This is what I think has happened. It got hot and I let it set for about 15 minutes and it went down. Then I drove it about one more mile uphill and it got hot again. I let it set for about 15 minutes and added water. Then I drove it home. It did not boil again after I added the water, but the red didn't go down.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Here's a thread where Dan shows how to solve the problem with a lathe:
https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mtfca.com/discus/ messages/179374/192947.html&ved=0CB4QFjABahUKEwjfz8DVxfDIAhVD0A4KHfFoBC8&usg=AFQ jCNFqUYmP2DLUrfCNIWpLAD4XzH-wDA&sig2=QRxOnewgnW4kqNunh2TBnA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Tapping on the tire always works if you have enough patience. At least it has never failed me and I've saved at least 2 dozen of them for me and friends over the years. You have to mean business and hit it as hard as you can against the tire and repeat the tap over and over and over etc. and sometimes put it down (upright) and try again tomorrow. I have taken as much as 2 weeks on and off to accomplish the task in order to save a rare Motometer. Once in a while it goes easy but there have been times when I got a blister on my hand because of my stubbornness to not give up. Eventually it works.

Ed aka #4

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration