Cheap/Easy/Simple rolling engine storage stands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cheap/Easy/Simple rolling engine storage stands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

I got sick of using the cherry picker to move loose T engines around the shop, and right now I'm rearranging between seasons, so I decided to do something about it.

The 18"x24" 1000lb furniture dollies at Harbor Freight for $12ea are the perfect size.

I screwed some scrap lumber to it to cradle the T engine pan.

Then just set the engine in place.

It worked so well, I made a few more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Good go Derek!

That is worthy of Mr. Thrifty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Derek,

Looks like a good idea. And the price is very reasonable. Thanks for sharing it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Mr Thrifty would approve. I even put them together with USED screws left over from taking out a wall in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

A friend I knew many years ago used to cut the tops off of shopping carts and set engines on the remaining bottom parts.

Where he got the shopping carts, and what he paid for them, I never asked... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

WARNING: those Harbor Frieght dollies have terrible, cheap casters so be careful going over cracks or obstacles on the floor in your shop, like your simple and inexpensive idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Derek, I bought 4 of them from HF the other day, and put them under each wheel on the T for some cheap "skates", works so far, 8.99 ea, hard to beat, you can't buy the wheels as cheap as the whole dollie. Mr. Thrifty will be proud..JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Can you show a photo of the harness used to get the dog to pull them around ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Hmm, they may be cheap wheels, but I've moved pianos with them!
I've had a few under my 'extra' T and DB engines for a few years now, seem to be doing fine!
But gee, I'm so cheap I didn't even add the wood, I like that idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Mister thrifty approves.

I made mine from scraps. About twenty years ago the local McDonalds remodeled and the contractor threw out a bunch of rectangular and square tubing. I don't remember where I got the wheels.

This doesn't show the whole stand, but it's another one made from McDonald's remodeling scraps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:03 am:

They are cheap but I have had 2 of them under model a motors for 3or 4 years. They have been rolled all around my shop several times and still are holding up.. I am getting 2 more this weekend. I need to put my spare t motor on one. I have limited space or to many parts if thats possible!! They work and roll good for me. Nice deal at $8.99!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Another idea for storage or working on the top half:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:52 am:

Derek, looks good, I used the same base. Your wood supports are nicer than mine. But it does the job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Way too complicated for a T engine. For the past decade or so, I've been using those same furniture dollies without modification. I just set the motors on them and roll them around the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Derek great idea. I've been using two of the small ones to move engines around for quite awhile, yours is an improvement. As Jim mention they are great for rolling a model T around the shop. Work better than the car dollies made for that purpose.
See you you have a "B" head, is it hill climb time? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

John, it will be a while until I use it, but I am collecting parts for a speedster build. Need to finish a few other projects first, but I'm trying to have as much of the expensive stuff bought ahead as possible so the project won't stall out due to budget. It's just a bare head with no rockers or manifolds.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration