OT - Another Record Breaking Halloween

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Another Record Breaking Halloween
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

I always enjoyed Halloween when I was little, my brother and I would go all over, bringing home full size pillowcases full of candy by the time it was over.

So, I always make sure I have something better to offer than the skimpy snack size bars that the candy makers sell in bags for Halloween.

My neighborhood is the only reasonably size subdivision in my town, so in addition to the local kids, folks in the surrounding countryside drive their kids over here on Halloween to make the rounds.

Here is my candy stash at 5:30 pm:

pic1

Here was the scene at 7:15 pm, when I had to turn out the lights:

pic2

I guess I'll have to buy even more next year! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Good on you, Mark. I still remember the one neighbor who gave out full size bars every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Mark,

Who got the smaller bars ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

As a kid, I liked Halloween best, of all the holidays. The magical "scary" and roaming
about in the darkness made it so much fun. The candy was a bonus.

We had a number of people around our area that made the approaches to their front
doors a real thrill of the unexpected. Sound systems with howling wolves or growling
who-knows-what, dry ice fog, spooky lighting and sudden flashes of artificial lightning.
It was so much fun.

When my kids were in their early teens, taking them around had lost its sparkle, in favor
of putting on our own spook show. The leaves I cussed cleaning up each year got saved
and piled waist deep at the steps out at the street. It didn't hurt that I built a front walk
that would make any 1910 City Zoo proud ... the iron gates, the pillars. The house, built
in the summer of 1908 looked the part. We did up some good lighting and had fun.

The most fun we ever had with it was to lay in the leaves down at the sidewalk, and as
the kids waded past us to get to the steps, the kid and I would slowly sit upright and
simply say "Hi!" to the parents standing there waiting. I think a few trick-or-treat runs
were cut short to go get a fresh change of skivvies for Mom and Dad. The kids just squealed
and shrieked. They ate that stuff up !

Good times. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

This year was a lot of zombies. I'm nearly at the bottom of the candy pail and ready to shut down till next year. I was pleasantly surprised to see more kids this year then I've seen in the last couple. Happy Halloween to all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

I've gone through about 5 bags of candy so far. the gouls are slowing down now, but it's been fun. I make giant spiders from black garbage bags full of leaves and PVC pipe for legs, with basketball heads painted black. one on each side of the sidewalk. a garbage bag witch is on the roof awaiting the poor souls to walk under her. the entry is spider webs with spiders and bats hanging down. I dress in black and have a skull type mask that I need to take off for the wee little monsters that are too scared to come to the door. I have fun passing out "poison" to the little ones, but I ask them not to eat it here and not to die on my sidewalk :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

For several years, we had no children on Halloween (graying neighborhood), so Anja and I started going to our daughter and son-in-law's house. I continued that tradition this year. I stayed at their house to hand out candy and they took my grandtwins trick or treating. When they got back and the visits were winding down, we went to their neighbors, where a number of people were sitting around a fire pit and enjoying adult beverages. (Everyone's kids were playing in the house.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Jim, the big bars went first until I ran out, then every kid after that got two of the smaller bars, which is equivalent to one of the big bars.

Nobody got short-changed!

Things that stand out from this year:

Two girls came by dressed as ketchup and mustard bottles.

Three kids asked me for glasses of water because they were thirsty from walking so much. I gave each of them their own disposable plastic cup of water to take with them.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I enjoy Halloween but since we moved to the big house (as my wife calls it) the houses are spread apart so the kids don't come around so we go to my cousins house and help them out. We give Apples, Oranges & candy and let the kids choose... the Apples seem to go first every year go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:33 am:

The kids who came by this year were almost all in store-bought costumes, but someone posted this on Facebook. One of the cleverest I've seen lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:43 am:

It is now the morning after.

Torrential rain (about 2") in the greater Portland area kept the number of trick-or-treaters down this year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/10/heavy_rain_pushes_through_po rt.html

I always give out full size candy bars to the kids I know in the neighborhood. I work at the elementary school only a few blocks away and it is always fun when a little kid exclaims, "Hey, look, it's Mr. Townsend! I didn't know you lived here!"

Dick, when I was in college and lived in the dorms, we would dress up and go door to door with a glass in hand and go "trick-or-drinking."

Happy All Saints Day.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:58 am:

We've lived here 41 years and only had about 4 kids come here in all those years. We live at the last house on a gravel road. Beyond here are mountains. So it's a quiet time for us. Our kids have been grown for years.

I took one of the T's Friday to a home for disabled adults for a show. They asked for us to dress in costumes, so I dressed as a man from the 1920's. They had a lot of questions and comments about the car. I think I had the oldest stock car there. There was a Willys Knight there which looked stock. Most of the cars were from the 30's thru 50's and old body on custom chassis. None of them looked right to me, because I remember when they were stock and used as daily drivers.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 10:57 am:

With only 7 houses on the mile of our gravel road we haven't had a trick or treater in years.One friend in town only had 13.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Yeah, but are "Jake from State Farm's" pants khaki or white??? At :0300 hours that's important! :-)
Great photo, Dick Lodge! Thanks for posting it. I just made it my computer screen's wallpaper.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:20 am:

"I work at the elementary school only a few blocks away and it is always fun when a little kid exclaims, "Hey, look, it's Mr. Townsend! I didn't know you lived here!"

Keith,

Have you considered telling the kids you're really Mrs. Smith (or whoever) but you got this really great Mr. Townsend costume at the store ?

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

What are you wearing,......Jake from STATE FARM?

We live right in the heart of a near downtown neighborhood.
In 17 years we have maybe had 10 or less kids come to the door.
Our driveway is 100 feet long.
When the kids were younger we put jack-o-lanterns along the driveway. That got a few.
The first year we were here a teenage girl came by who said she used to live here. The only one that year.
This year nobody came by.
Always our kids who now have kids come back with lots of candy.
We throw it out at the 4th of July parade the next summer.
Our kids never ate candy. They hated it, but loved to get a full bag every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Didn't have a single one but while I was in the shop kids stopped by all day asking for any leftover candy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:07 am:

I live on the other side of town from Keith but rain kept most at bay. Had a few later in the evening between the rain showers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:38 am:

No trick or treaters around here.
I did make the mistake of going to CVS yesterday morning to get something for my hurting back. They had their candy on 50% off sale! 3 bags followed me home. I will be a butter ball soon!

This is the second year I did not swap out the mail box for the "sandbox" and the mailbox survived. :-)
I guess riding around town with a ball bat bashing mailboxes for halloween is to much work for todays kids!
The sand box is something my dad and I invented about 10 years ago.It is a old bashed mailbox that was beat out straight as possible and filled with sand and tamped tight and the lid welded shut. It would make for a surprise for the would be mailbox basher

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration