Starter Jammed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starter Jammed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

I wanted to go for a drive today, had trouble getting it started . I think the starter jammed . It won't turn with the starter, and it will not crank, it won't even move. Do I need to remove the bendix to get the starter loose or to remove it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

If the starter bendix is locked into the ring gear on the flywheel it's possible to get it loose by: with the switch off, put the car in high gear and rock the car forward and backward. This usually unlocks the starter and assuming nothing is broke, you should be able to start the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Try putting the car in high gear (parking brake lever all the way forward) and rocking the car forward and back to get the Bendix to release.

If that doesn't work, remove the Bendix cover and have a look see.

If you have a magneto, you must remove the Bendix before removing the starter, or you will damage the magneto.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

John, try rocking the car with the transmission in high like Michael and Mark said. If that doesn't work loosen the four screws that hold the starter to the hogs head and try again. Don't loosen the screws too much or you might smack the mag coil with the bendix drive. If the starter keeps jamming then either something is wrong with your bendix drive or your flywheel ring gear.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration