Front brakes......again.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front brakes......again.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

Hi,
I know this has been gone over several times in the past, but I wonder, is anyone making a front brakes kit?
I pick up my newly rebuilt speedster engine this week and its reminded me that the thing will be a lot lighter and quite a bit faster than my touring, so I now want to make it stop. (The speedster has a split wishbone set up, bolted to the frame/chassis).
I remember Ralph used to push his Nash Metropolitan brakes as being the ants pants, and they probably were, but I want to keep this car at least "looking" period correct and feel that anything late model would look out of place.
Anybody got any suggestions? Better still, anybody got a set of old "Quad-BEC", "Big 4", "Todsmith" or "Heinzelman" 4 wheel T brakes they would sell to me?
My plans at present are to go the Rocky Mountain route....unless something comes up.
Your suggestions and advice please?
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

The metropolitan brakes were easy to come by and they were small enough to not be to obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 02:15 am:

On a speedster the Metro brakes looked good and not out of place and also worked even better. That's why RDR always insisted and promoted seat belts cause if he hit the brakes hard you needed them to stay in the seat.

Rob, glad you mentioned the Big Four's and another was the McNearney. I copied some of both of them and used some small drum rears for the front of my Torpedo. The front are cable operated and I have Bennett's on the rear so with a combination of both they work pretty good.

Of course the hydraulic metro are much better, I think, but without the tranny brake mine work really good. It's a pretty simple system that you could make for yours and a light car is even better.

On this years Canada national tour there was an early brass touring with the nicest disc brake setup I have ever seen. they were small enough, about 8", not to show much and could be ok for a speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

Rob
There are various "solutions" to front brakes.
ALL of them should be utilized with a "improvement" in the steering. You have apparently split your wishbone. That is not the real area of concern. Some improvement in the steering is!
I have installed 7" mechanical drums, discs, and now repo Mcnerney mechanical drums.
I am making a bunch of Ross steering boxes and 3 of those are probably going to be for RHD (the worm is reverse pitch)
All the great brakes on the back still won't stop your speedster when you need it like front brakes

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration