OT - To Recall a Halloween Memory (True!)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - To Recall a Halloween Memory (True!)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:30 am:

Imagine: 3 boys going 'Trick-or-Treat' - 2 cousins aged 8 (Tom) & 11 (Gerald), and me in the middle at age 9. We lived in a farm community with residences mixed in-between along the banks of a river. There was even an old vacant one-room schoolhouse that was situated over and along the edge of the river-flats, which had been closed down a few years earlier, but the playground and swings were still there. The school yard had about 10 mature catalpa trees - those with leaves about 8" across, now dry and deeply piled in that yard. Other than one flashlight, technology had not yet arrived, relegating my Jack-O-Lantern to only having a single candle inside. Wind was blowing about 15 MPH, while the moon was full and bright on Halloween!

We three joined up to make our rounds, heading for the neighbors' by the river on the other side of the old schoolhouse, which was actually located about 1/2 mile from my home. When passing the schoolhouse to our right, wind blowing the swings making those squeaky "EEEK-EEEK" chain sounds, cousin Jerry loudly says "What's that?? Something's in the schoolyard!" Knowing his usual behavior to be toward the 'overdo and border on the dramatic', I told him I didn't hear or see anything. We continued on our way to the neighbors'.

Heading back and returning home, the old schoolhouse with those creaking swings in the full moon was now on our left. Suddenly, from out of a couple of big piles of leaves..... "AAAAAAAAARGH!" A COUPLE OF RAGING MONSTERS WERE COMING AFTER US!!!! 'Whooosh!", and Jerry was setting a new record for the 100-yard dash, my pumpkin was now without it's candle, and shorter-legged Tom behind us was screaming "WAIT FOR ME! WAIT FOR ME!" Arriving back home, we had no idea 'What' we had encountered, other than some new 'streaks' going down the backs of our legs.... It wouldn't be until some 35 years later when we would finally get an answer....

A reunion for the attendees of that old schoolhouse was organized. I had only attended there for my first grade until when it was closed. Entertainment for the evening was for everyone to share their memories of the old school. I shared about falling off the slide into a mud puddle wearing my new jeans on my first day of school. "But then....", I told the story of our Halloween experience. Lots of chuckles and laughs, but also some snickers coming from a couple of guys which was about to be revealing. They had been two of the older boys (back then being about age 16-17) who had also grown up in the neighborhood. They had decided on their prank when they saw us going 'Trick-or-Treat', following along just behind the edge of the river flats. While we were at the neighbor's, they had buried themselves in those dry catalpa leaves of the school yard. And, when we came back past...... Yep! They sure succeeded!!!! We still have the mental scars!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Back in my High school days, the MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) would go trick-or-treating for UNICEF and meet at the church afterwards. Well, Dave Anderson & I were the first ones back, and we wandered to the back of the sanctuary, where there was a piano. Now the Church on one side was one story above the street and had a narrow set of windows at the end of the wall. One window was open-able, and you could see the street below. It was a full moon, so we didn't need any lights on, and Dave was messing around with the piano when I noticed some kids coming down the street in costume. PSSST!! Dave, play the funeral march!, I cracked the window open and "WOOOOOOOHHHH!!!"
I saw the kids look up at the church and heard one yell, "It's coming from the church!!!" and they scattered. Didn't see any other kids come down that side of the street after that--the word was out!
Heh heh heh!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

enjoyed that, thanks for sharing Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:03 am:

I told this story in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here ...

As my kids got too old to go door-to-door, we turned our attention to having fun
with the kids coming around for candy. I spent all autumn up to that point blowing
all the leaves from the maple trees along the street in front of the rather grand steps
and pillars that led up to our big front porch. The place was built in 1908 and had
a fun and old (spooky to some) look. The eldest daughter had long red hair and was
very fair. In a black velvet dress with the right make up, she looked really creepy as
she answered the door. The younger son and I found our best "scare" was lying in
the leaves down by the steps. We tried jumping up and yelling. That worked OK.
But what really scared the ber-jeebers out of people was to let the kids wade up the
stairs in waist-to-neck-deep leaves, and as the parents stood there waiting, we'd
slowly sit upright and simply say "Hi" in a low voice.

I am afraid a few kids' night was cut short when Mom or Dad had to head home
early to clean out their drawers ! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration