Brass tube stem repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass tube stem repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:37 am:

Do you install the brass tube stems the same as a patch? Do U sand/crape around the hole, cover the area with rubber cement and then install the stem? Lang's part number ST3-3/8. They say ready to vulcanize.

vulcanize |ˈvəlkəˌnīz|
verb [ with obj. ]
harden (rubber or rubberlike material) by treating it with sulfur at a high temperature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 04:55 am:

Hal, in Australia, the stick on patches have a red or blue layer to which the cement is applied. This layer is made to re-act to the solution and form a strong bond. Unless the stem has this, I would guess it needs to be vulcanised to the tube. This opens another kettle of fish. Modern butyl tubes do not take to vulcanising like the old rubber tubes did.

I prefer to fit original threaded stems with their bridge washer and lock nut.

others may differ.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:20 am:

http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Don't waste your time! Use originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Agree with Larry - go real or go home. The originals pay for themselves, you buy them once and use them over and over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Thanks! Mark, the stems I got from Langs are not that type. They are a patch type that are "patched" over the stem hole. If they have to be vulcanized, i'm out of luck.

I would just buy new tubes, but I,m too "thrifty". I still have 4 cents of the first nickel that I earned 70 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:04 am:

Royce, I just ordered 2 new tubes. With tax and shipping it came to over $78.00 and that ain't being thrifty. Now what do I do with the two $9.25ea (plus shipping) stems?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:10 am:

Alan, my stem patch areas have a red cover. Does that mean I can us them as a patch, not vulcanize them (with heat)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:34 am:

Hal, my preferred brand of patch is by Rema. Theirs have the red layer which goes to the tube. It is protected from the air by a stick on foil cover. If yours have this, then they are likely to be stick on types. The fitting process is the same as it is for applying a puncture patch.

These stems are a special order from the distributors out here. They have to be the thin stem type, and are about 3.5" long. Most are too short and fat.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:28 am:

I don't know what you could do with those Hal. They have to be vulcanized to work.

The make a good reproduction for wire wheels:

http://brattons.com/product.asp?P_ID=193&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=valve ,stem&numPageStartPosition=31&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Royce and Allan, Thanks for the help!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration