220 in 1968 with Dinah Shore

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 220 in 1968 with Dinah Shore
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

I was at The Old Thresher Show in Ellsberry this fall and went to the flea market there and found a copy of Car Classics January 1969 magazine there. It had an article on Harrah's Swap meet that year.
This was in the article:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

Dinah Shore was often engaged to appear at Harrah's Show room in Reno. Behind her in the photo is Mr Bill Harrah. Sorry I can't identify the driver of 220.

I was employed at Harrah's Auto Collection in the research department at that time. As a side bar when they purchased 220 there were some small issues that needed attention.

A new hire mechanic was told to remove the hood and radiator to take care of a couple of cooling system leaks. All Work stations had roll around shelving racks to place removed parts on. As I was standing next to the that work stall, I watched the new mechanic remove the radiator and throw it face down then slide it across the shelf. This was in the morning before lunch break, and he never made it past lunch. He was dismissed never to be seen again.

Many of the entertainers of the day visited the Auto Collection, those that were a part of the inner circle were often accompanied by Mr Harrah himself. Those that were not were shown through the collection by my self or other members of the research staff.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

Driver is Ben Snider and his wife receiving the
best of show trophy. According to the caption.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

The other car pictured, 1930 Franklin Deauville Sedan, was owned by Tom Hubbard and is currently in the Franklin Museum in Tucson Arizona. The museum was started by Hubbard and is housed in his former residence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

Howard,

That is fascinating - you must have a lot of stories from that period of your life.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:10 am:

Brass car guy the print next to the photo of no 220 say that it is MR. and Mrs. Ben Snyder in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:05 am:

My tired old eyes could not read the small print!!!!

My job at the swap meet that year was to sell styrifoam "skimmers" or faux straw hats to you young'ins

I drove the 1921 Winton House car to the swap meet that Harrarh's purchased from the late James Milton, early collector and Opera Star. This was a huge old bus difficult to drive and maneuver.

There was a veranda on the back of the Winton where we sold the hats and stalls for the swap meet.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

I think I still have my 1969 Styrofoam skimmer bought from the back of that Winton!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

My first Harrah's Swap (on the school parking lot), I was moving some stuff around in our stall when I heard a loud "Crunch, crunch, crunch" of the gravel behind me having something heavy go across it. Turned around, and there was Barney Becker driving his Doble Roadster past me, just drove in from the bay area, and when he passed me, the burner was off, so there was no propulsion sound (Yes, I knew what a Doble was back then). At another Harrah's swap, I met Alex Tremulus (sp?), body designer of the Tucker. He told me that if they'd had two more weeks, there would have been over 1,000 Tuckers off the assembly line and there would have been no question if they were legitimate or not.
The Harrah meets were the BEST!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Hey Evan !

I am dropping your jack off at the museum tomorrow ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for doing that, I hope that the museum can use it in the proposed repair shop. Also a big thanks to Dick Fischer who gave me the jack, I hope that Dick doesn't mind that it is being passed along to the museum.

Thanks again Jim, look forward to coffee the next time you are in the neighborhood!

Evan in Paso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Bought my first TV part at Harrah swap meet and last Harrah swap it bought my first TV well it was one of those mini T shiners use
Reno Harrah swap were 1st class events remember guy picking up the trash in white jump suits and driving a model A ford trucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

"I hope that Dick doesn't mind that it is being passed along to the museum. "

No, Evan, I think it's great. My intent was to pass it along to someone who would enjoy the experience of using it. You had your fun with it and now you're passing it along to someone else who will enjoy it. And you picked a fine "someone else".

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:01 am:

My daily driver at Harrah's was a 1929 square cab model A pickup. We had 16 vehicle warehouses scattered around Reno and Sparks, plus the huge parts warehouse on Timberway. I constantly was heading out to a warehouse doing research on one of my assigned projects.

With over 1600 cars, a couple of hundred trucks, fire trucks, house cars and assorted horse drawn vehicles, plus assorted motorcycles, aircraft and boats, the most important job at the collection was the lady that kept track of what was where and which location. One warehouse in Reno had fire engines, house cars and buses as far as you could see rows and rows.

Wayne, we sold those hats for the princely sum of one dollar, and the hotter it got the more we sold.

I often wonder what happened to those incredible trophies that were awarded to the best swappers? We used old Buddy L toy trucks added a few car trinkets and then dipped them in bronze like was done with old baby shoes years back.

Harrah's always did it with class.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Howard,

What years did you work for Mr. Harrah ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Anybody know what year she sang 'see the USA in your Chevrolet'?
I remember her singing that commercial while watching Bonanza as a kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Hmm, not certain, but I can remember that tune on the radio when I was in Kindergarten, which would have been around 1959.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

Written in 1949. Dinah Shore sang it after 1952.
Source: Wikipedia :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart. Bakersfield, Calif. on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Great information and what a flash back. When we were kids we would sing,"See the USA in a Ford all day." Guess what cars my family had in the 1950's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Another jingle we would modify: Winton tastes bad, like the one I just had. No filter, no flavor, just tastes like toilet paper."
Nope, I never smoked, so have no idea what the taste was!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

As long as we are going back through the catacombs of our minds, does anyone remember the "Hertz" ads of the mid 50's.

Let Hertz put you in the drivers seat" where 2 people were seen being lowered in to a 1955 Chevrolet convertible as the car was shown driving down the highway?

I actually saw some footage on how they did it. Remember this was long before the computer generated stuff they have today.

They had a moving background running behind the convertible making you think the car was driving. Then they had 2 people sitting on a flat seat suspended by wires. The 2 were lowered down into the open car giving you the illusion they were actually being lowered into a moving car. With some trick photography it looked like they just flew down into the moving car.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I found it at youtube,
First the ad - they're entering a '64 Chevy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30XXrrK3lY
Then some footage on how it may have been done - from a 1964 movie, "Good Neighbor Sam":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwMz8Hyeao

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration