Which Gaskets Would You Replace on engine, sight unseen?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which Gaskets Would You Replace on engine, sight unseen?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

I have a rolling chassis that I started ti disassemble and clean and paint for restoration, including cleaning and painting the motor and accessories.
I was told the engine runs but did not install all the necessary parts to get it running prior to the cleaning and painting stage. Probably mistake, but my fingers are crossed.

While I'm removing the water inlets, carb, starter, etc., for cleaning and paiting, what gaskets, if not all, should I replace prior to reassembly. I am not planning on removing the head.

My basic list would be oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket and bearing. Carb gaskets and water inlet gaskets look fresh.

What makes sense to replace while I am at this stage? On advice from this board, I am NOT planning on lifting engine from car, but removing mounting bolts and jacking up for cleaning and painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Was the engine rebuilt? If it wasn't I would at least pull the head and check things out.
Its your car but at this stage now is the time to check it over before putting it together 'as is' by installing new gaskets.

Get it running like it is to see how it runs and drives.

Personally I would want to hear it run before I went to the trouble of painting and cleaning it up.

Good luck
Others may have different opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

If I were that close,I'd go ahead and pull engine to check cam end play and rods and mains. It is penny foolish to assume the other guy did every thing correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Buy gasket set and tear it down last 4 motors I found only2 bolts holding on the flywheel, one had no inside oil tube and another had no keys or other locks on the rods lastly one had a quarter sized chip in the band surface

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Seek and you shall find. Unless you don't want to. Take a compression test. It'll tell you more about the condition of the engine than any thing else you're planning to do. Or not do as the case may be. I wouldn't touch the oil pan gasket but there's a chance I'd pull the head depending on the comp. test results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

My experience is similar to Bob's. Not checking stuff at this time in a "Restoration" is foolish and not really a restoration...... Sounds more like it is paint job for a quick sale. IMHO

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on November 02, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:17 am:

If you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling the engine, I would go ahead and rebuild it and replace every gasket in the engine. Very rarely are gaskets reusable once they have been subjected to the heat and abuse in a running engine, for during disassembly they almost always split in half especially if gasket sealer was used. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:47 am:

OK, thanks for all the responses.

Lesson learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:59 am:

If you have access to an engine test stand, That is the front part of a chassis with radiator, or you could set up your chassis to be used for this purpose. You could start up the engine to see how it runs.

Since you don't know the condition of the engine, it would be much easier to overhaul it and fix anything wrong with it at this time, than to pull it later.

As to which gaskets to replace, I would say, replace any gaskets which have been removed. That could be none, or all of them depending on how much you do to the engine.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration