Mounting Steering bracket under/over frame rail

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mounting Steering bracket under/over frame rail
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

all-

I rebuilt and regreased everything related to my steering column. I hand tightened everything back together, then went through and finished it properly after a good fit check. I was pretty peeved afterwards when I noticed that I bolted my steering mount ABOVE the lower frame rail instead of under it. Question is, does it matter if the mounting is above or below the rail?

for clarity, this is what I'm referring to:

thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Concern would be the steering column shaft could bind, the steel shaft needs to be aligned to the column, the flange on the firewall, and the bracket on the frame.

How well did the holes line up in the frame with the bracket above? And be sure to fit the wood block tight to the frame rail. Any wiggle at the bracket can be a wobble at the front end :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

The hole for the wood block will not line up. Will probably throw off the angle and alignment of the column, so if your column is in it might be stressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Looks like we were typing at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

thanks, looks like I'll have to change it over this week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

i have a new wood block in the mail and didn't fit that yet. so you are right, that would not line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Brian
According to your profile you have a '22 T?
The frame bracket you show I think is '26-7. There is a big difference in the brackets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Wells on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

It should be bolted under the frame rail. I just had the same situation occur with my 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

@ Les, yes it's a '22, and I just got the generic photo off the internet to illustrate the part I was talking about. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Steering brackets mount under the bottom of the rail if not the holes won't line up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Thank you for the photo for clarity. It does help a lot!
Also, for clarity, on model T speedsters, it is fairly common to mount that bracket above the frame rail. It often helps with transmission pedal clearance. The important key for them as well as factory offerings is that the column and mounts all need to line up and bolt securely. A stock bodied car does need to be bolted beneath the frame rail.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:01 am:

Les,

Minor correction. The bracket with T932B as shown in the first picture of the posting is the bracket for most 1912-1925 Ts. The T932B is the factory number for the casting. When the bushing is added it becomes factory number 996. And of course without the bushing it doesn't work correctly. The 1926-27 roadster, touring, and coupe used the bracket with the factory number T932C cast into the bracket. And the 1926-27 Fordors used a different bracket with factory number T933. And the Ton Truck, 1911 Torepedo, and the earlier 1909-10 cars used a different bracket. There were also slight variations to the bracket over the years. Where the factory number was placed, the addition of Ford script etc. For additional information on the bracket and what numbers are on the bracket please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/388573.html

For Brian, you 1922 would have the T932B style bracket.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration