What have you done, November

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What have you done, November
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Today I bought some engine parts for the power unit and a rear mount PTO pulley. Great score as the pulley was unexpected.

I also disassembled the two fuel shutoffs on the doodlebug and relubed them with EZ Turn fuel lube. They turn easily now. I had to turn one valve a little bit to make it accessible so I don't have to unhook the lines next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Plans are made to pull the touring car out of storage Tuesday evening and bring it to the shop. Beyond that I'm not making any plans until I'm able to correct some severe pain issues I'm having with some old lower back injuries. It's hard to do much when the old legs don't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Started preparing to install new upholstery in my '14 runabout. I got a kit from Classtique and hope that I am up to the task as I have never tackled upholstery before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Cleared out a spot in the shop so I can put an engine in the TT. Less than 2 weeks before it needs to be running and driving. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Im doing the last work on the shop before the cold weather hits. Trying to get it a little "tighter" and fixing some overdue repairs. Been ordering parts to rebuild my rear axle assembly in the 27 sport touring. I also have been "surfing" e-bay for neat things for the speedster project. I hope to finish it this winter. Ill be posting updates on it as soon as I start back working on it (the day after Thanksgiving, or Black Friday). That is the official start date of "Dads" work season, and leave him alone till spring time :-) I probably annoyed everyone with my posts last year, so Ill try it again this year. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Drove the T yesterday to the grocery store, and the motometer was dancing all over the place. The filler neck had separated from the radiator. Boogers. Took maybe 15 to 20 minutes to fix today, surprised me how easy it was. Cleaned the top of the radiator, and the neck with wire brush in the drill. Bushed on some flux. Heated it very briefly with a propane torch. Touched the solder to it, and I was done.
Wish everything was this quick and easy to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Rebuilt the coil box. New mahogany wood. I only cleaned the surfaces that make electrical contact and the inside of the box. It had a nice, well earned look that I want to keep for this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Gave the car a bath. Too much work to do around the house today but wednesday is suppose to be 70 so i will go for a ride of about 80 miles i think. Maybe get the gas tank on the speedster soldered too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Got motor mostly back together should be back in next weekend mostly coz I waiting the brake pedal having the tab welded on for the brake equalizer from John stoltz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:47 am:

Went to the TLC of Central Fl. for a "T fix it" get-together and worked on some T's. Made a couple "T'er very happy. They mounted some new tires. Went to the neighbor's and saw a lot of antique boats and motors. WOW.
A great day hosted by Jim Collop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I flipped a car.

More specifically, my son and I turned our '26 touring car body upside down so I can do the underbody repairs easier. He's right, I do need to buy a rotating stand.

I finally know where those four square wood body blocks go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:21 am:

Now that Halloween month is over, and the tourists are gone, went for a ride around yesterday. Filled the gas tank, put some Sta-Tron in also. Hope a few more rides before the snow flies! It likes the cool weather!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Slogging through dozer repairs so I can get the piles of dirt out of the driveway and make it passable again after a couple of heavy rains.

Blew a head gasket right in the middle of the job and limped back to the barn in a cloud of steam and spewing coolant all over. And you can't pull a head without checking the valves while your there. Which leads to grinding valves, seats and fixing rocker arms and the rocker arm shaft. The domino effect is in full force, again.

I haven't gotten around to changing the oil and filter yet. I'm not looking forward to crawling under it between the tracks and over gravel to get to the oil drain. So, I'm cleaning parts and waiting for the gasket set to arrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Busy fitting a "rebuilt" engine from the past. I can't imagine the engine would have run .001" piston clearance, pistons bound up on the wrist pins, large fibre timing gear scored from being too close to the crank gear, .001; valve clearance, etc.
I've fitted everything except the pistons in the cylinder using a variety of techniques and still need to do the valves and lifters. I have used Timesaver lapping compound for years but am still amazed how good a job it does. This was the first time I tried it on new timing gears that had a tight spot. Not any more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Took the 26 out of storage and it wouldn't start, good 12 volt battery, good spark (Pertronix),open shut off ? opened drain on carb, no gas ?winched it onto the trailer, got in the garage (shop) removed the gas line from the tank to carb, no gas ? finally got a dribble and let the tank drain it had three gallons of pure gas, finally removed the filter/shut off and took it apart and the shut off area was full of red sticky varnish, i put it in lacquer thinner and cleaned everything, put it all back together with fresh gas and all is well.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Drained the gas from the roadster, a slow leak that would leave a paint can lid spot on the floor over night. Replaced the reproduction sediment bulb with bras pipe and ball valve. Went tonight to install the gas line and found my new tubing cutter to be a pos as it didn't last 3 times around till it broke. Tomorrow and I will have it back on. Then a trip around the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Got a flu shot, blood drawn for cholesterol test and picked up a prescription. :-) I did get two Model T intakes that have been modified for updraft carb. I need to figure which one I will keep and which one to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Beautiful fall day, 65 degrees, so took my '12 out for a 32 mile spin to start the "break in" period of my rebuilt engine. Ran great. Will drive it to vote tomorrow and then drive it all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Tried out some "Ron finish" of linseed oil/mineral spirits on the ski project and then on some pieces on the doodlebug. I am curious about how it last outside in comparison to the ATF I was using. Time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I cut down two huge mulberry trees for fire wood. Had to drive the M Farmall about 3 miles to a neighbors to cut them down. Loaded them on the trailer and almost broke my loader as the trunk on them is about 3 1/2 feet in diameter. Neighbor estimated the trunk section to weigh over a ton. should keep me warm in the shop for quite a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

Busy getting upstairs windows installed before the good weather goes south, my only T activity was driving the roadster to town for groceries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 03:47 am:

Tom, that Mulberry is good firewood, if you burn it next year. That is, unless it was dead when you cut it. Been there. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 06:05 am:

Took our T out for a long drive, 260km over some rough roads. Tried out a gps logger, we did about 20mph average with 4000m climbed and 4000m descended. Worked out to be 14mpg which I suppose is OK considering the amount of time spent in low gear.

The only trouble I had was lots of missfires once we got above the mist and the coil box wood must have been damp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Blew some money and got a younger model. Our cars are almost run out. My wife's '98 Expedition, and my Expedtion (also a '98) have 450,000 and 360,000 miles, respectively. Bailey bought an '02 Subaru Outback back in July; it has 135,000. My late mother-in-law's '93 Buick Century is our "town car" with about 85,000.

Unless we rented something for a long trip, we had almost nothing to drive for business; it was time we got something dependable to travel in.

We looked, and looked, and looked some more. Finally, Bailey found this truck in Gainesville, TX. Although not "perfect", it was so close we pulled the trigger.

On the way home, going through New Boston, I pulled just a little too far over, and both passenger side wheels went into the mud, big time. There was almost no bottom to the mud. So much rain there, it took a wrecker to attach to the trailer hitch and pull me back onto the highway. With all the rain, the local wrecker services were maxxed out; it took a Bowie County Deputy's "Mr. Everett, you've got to get this truck off the highway, or I have to" to get a wrecker to finally arrive.

Bailey drove the truck to a convention in Bettendorf, IA, and I am in a rented Stow-N-Go mini van at a convention in Coeur d'Alene; I go to Visalia, CA, next week. Other than driving home from the dealership, I've not driven the truck. The things we do for our kids...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

Sold our Tudor. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

I retrofitted an old tail light with a dual wire socket so I can have a tail/brake light. This one was kind of a test so I new what I was doing for the ones on my pickup. I soldered the new socket into place once I fitted it. This one will go on the doodlebug, I am trying to make it "legal" for road use under NY slow Moving vehicle laws.

I ordered up one of the Fun Project brake light switch kits tonight for it also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Had some machine work done by J&M Machine, John did a great job on balancing my flywheel and surfacing the magnet plates so that they are all the same height. He also machined my triple gears to the same weight, and line bored all my drum bushings. If you need machine work done in this area, i would highly recommend that you give John a call. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Not sure why the balance stats are sideways, they were straight when i posted them,...just lay on your left side to see the results..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:46 am:

Been working at opposite ends of the T spectrum. Finishing up a customer's speedster engine with Scat crank, overhead valves and Fronty crankcase for stick trans. Also working on the transmission for a 1910 engine we are building for a local guy. Just delivered a shortened drive shaft for a guy putting in a KC Warford. Tonight is just the second night I have fired up the shop heater here in Auburn. We had ice on our cars this morning. OT just pulled the transaxle out of a 2011 Chev&$)); Impala for a coworker that burned down just out of warranty. Big job, support the engine with a truss over the fenders and then drop the front suspension subframe out, then drop the transaxle. I like model T's better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Too chilly and way too windy yesterday to take a T out and really be comfortable, so took the dog for a ride in "her" Model A. She loved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 09:01 am:

pic

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 10:43 am:

I stopped at the local Goodwill Industries store and bought this print for $6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

Not much today, I just about have my dual socket taillight done, now I need to make a mount for it.

I also got my first ever free start out of the doodlebug today. It's running good, and the snow plow setup is just about complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Got engine back in my TT as well as big chuck of it back together as well hopefully I get try and start it by next weekend if all goes well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Put on a new brass radiator on my 1914 roadster, a new choke spring on the Holly G carb, took out the old crank handle sleeve, put a new one in. Getting the old sleeve out was a war!!Old Sleeve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

I drove the Touring 63 miles one way on what was to be a 164 mile round trip. Got it back home on battery. The magneto died. I suppose I'll be recharging it.

Seems like I just did this a couple of years ago....maybe something else is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 02:01 am:

Painted some engine dust shields.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:17 am:

Took the dog with me to the recycle center, then off to UPS to finally send off my two seat springs to Classtique for re-upholstery. On my way to finally correcting Clarabelle's upholstery! Can't wait to get it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 11:23 am:

My sister came over yesterday to retrieve the hardtop from the t bird. It had been in my garage since the spring of 2004! Went on easy now, i have additional room in the garage. After the top went on I took her for a short ride. Sunny 50 degrees, 15 mph wind, a cool ride! The two year old rebuilt engine likes the cool weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

George sure like your slow sign were you get it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, November 09, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

My 13-year old son and I finished putting new white tires on our 1910 Touring yesterday. This project taught him how to grease the front wheel bearings and use the rear hub puller. He is slowly but surely learning the basics of a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:21 am:

Bob,

Got the sign/banner from Lang's. Says "Caution Slow Moving Vehicle" Item #A-SMV, bottom of page 246 in their latest catalog. It is great for the city driving and helps hid the torn top.

Tell everyone the vehicle is slow, not the owner or driver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:14 am:

Wow, Mike, beautiful car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:27 am:

"The magneto died. I suppose I'll be recharging it.....maybe something else is wrong."

I'd bet that last part is right. I wouldn't expect magnets to lose their charge in only two years. If a mag suddenly quits working well enough to run the car, I'd look for a break in continuity somewhere. Maybe a loose connection in the switch or mag post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

After looking at the two intakes decided not to keep ether. I would have to run without the generator with the Stromberg updraft. Put the original intake and Marvel back on. Getting ready to think about pulling the rear end. Even with felt seals, 3 of them, still getting way too much oil and grease on the drivers side. The AC brakes on that side are dripping with the stuff as are the wheels and tires. Checked the fluid level in the rear end and it about where it should be. Think it's time for new bearings on that side. The last time I looked, seemed to have more up/down around movement of the axle then it should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Mowed my lawn, Hopefully for the last time this year:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Started to rebuild my transmission I am going to try the right stuff on all the new gaskets when I put it back together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

RE rebuilding my rear end. Before anyone suggest or asks, yes it has brass thrust washers. I know because I put them in! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, November 13, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Finishing the install of my Fun Projects brake light switch. Very nice unit and highly recommended. It would be WAY easier to install this in a regular T. However in my T doodlebug, I have about 3 hours in due to making other modifications because of the auxiliary Buick transmission and its mounting setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 03:37 am:

The first of this last week, After replacing the Steering Gears, Pitman Arm, and straightening both bent Drag Links / Tie Rods, to correct a 4" play in my steering wheel, I test drove it on Tuesday, ( first dry day ), into town, and the problem was fixed. Was so HAPPY!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 06:55 am:

I've been busy feeding extra grain to the turkey and sharpening my ax so everything will be ready in two weeks!

First I stuff the bird then I stuff myself! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 07:31 am:

I did drop my front fenders and running boards at the body shop for my 26 roadster. Picked up the rear fenders. They look good now but they were very rough when I bought them. Also got the t engine on the stand. This is our busy season at work so I will have to keep cleaning parts and blasting for the next few months. No time to do anything. At least I can see you guys are getting good stuff done. Oh and my wife thinks I can paint the porch before turkey day!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 10:25 am:

I drove my roadster. Does that count as doing something? In this case, yes. I'm relearning how to run it. Before all the work on it, I could only start it on battery. Two pulls on choke, turn the key, and pull once to start. Now, with the rebuilt engine/transmission/magneto, things have changed. I'm trying to discover the best starting procedure. It would be nice if I never had to use the battery, so I'm experimenting with choke/no choke, throttle setting, needle setting, etc. In my trip to town for shopping and errands I made ten stops. After eight of those stops I started on MAG, sometimes with one pull and sometimes with several pulls. Twice I had to resort to a BAT start. I hope eventually I'll figure out what works best under various conditions.

At the hardware store these guys were interested in the "old truck" so I told them about it and had them pose for a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 11:44 am:

I just finished rebuilding a few coils and a J&B master coil. For the master coil I need new latch sets to keep the lid in place.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

It was a beautiful day in Denver so I drove the 14 Touring to Golden.

The ugly building in the background is part of the Coors Brewery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Last weekend I did the in the car magneto recharge. When I bought the car it would not run on the magneto at all. I cleaned all of the lint off of the contact, then it would just barely run on the mag. Did the recharge and it runs good on the magneto now. I will even start on the magneto.
The sediment bulb that was on backorder from Lang's showed up yesterday, so that is on the to do list.
Yesterday was the Pecan Festival in Sahuarita, so I drove the '23 over to put in the Model T and Model A display. About a ten mile drive each way. Fun Day at the festival with the tractor pulls, hit and miss engines, pecan demonstrations, and lots of activities for the kids.

Pecan Festival

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:43 am:

It was a beautiful day in NW Arkansas too. I drove my '21 RPU to Sam's Club and picked up some groceries. The car sparked lots of interest and started some conversations, as always. I didn't think to take any pics though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Got my TT running, and drove it 80 miles yesterday!

Just in time to put it away for winter. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Installed the shields, running boards and rear fenders Saturday . next on the list, complete the doors. Ken fenders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

The Stewart horn on my roadster has always sat on a mounting bracket that produced a really annoying chirping rattle wherever the car was moving. So for the past couple of days I've been making a better bracket, and while I was at it I decided to give the horn a new paint job.

Here's the Before picture...

...and here's After.

The new bracket is really a large clamp. It requires no holes in the car. It weighs about a ton and a half, and seems mighty stable with the car sitting still. I'll see how it does when I go for a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 01:15 am:

Derek,
Great looking truck! 80 miles is a long way in a TT. I once did 120 miles in one day with mine on the Redwood Tour in northern Ca. in 1992. I made hundreds of gear shifts with the T transmission, Warford, and Ruckstell that day. I have a bunch of great old cars, but if I could only keep one it would be my rusty old TT dump truck, for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Did 120 miles round trip from College Station to Jewett, TX in the TT with Ernie and Art on Friday the 13th.

E
A
L

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

This is a little off topic, we finally got some rain Saturday, so I didn't drive my T, although I started it and let it run to get good and warm- also warms my shop at the same time!
Instead, I pulled the bed I built for my Son 25 years ago out of the attic and set it up for my Grandsons at their house.

bed1

bed4

Bed3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Got my rear radius rods back from the powder coater today, so I started the final assembly of my Ebay Ruckstell rear axle. Not many parts left to go!

One disadvantage of assembling everything, the axle is almost too heavy now for me to maneuver alone. :-)

axle01

axle02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Bob, that TT bed is the coolest! With that to play with, how are the grandkids ever going to get to sleep? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

Neat bed
Also on the rear axle biuld a dolly and roll it around what I did
Well crank started my fresh rebuilt engine what a workout but worth it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

Put the T away for the winter. I will redo one wheel starting in March. I have found that it takes 40-50 hours to completely remove all of the old finish and redo it from scratch. I'm doing one per year. It's worth the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

I rebuilt my worst ignition switch. The sun and other elements tend to shrink or slump the outside of these housings. I drilled a few holes for the filler to grip. A front and back plate were cut from 1/8 board and held to each side with screws. Then I spread some Bondo around it. The plates guide the sanding. I drilled and inserted 3 brass posts for the cover screws and drilled and tapped them. JB weld was used there and a few other places. I also made some #10-32 terminal screws from #6-32's to get the right size and shape. A little black paint and light sanding finished it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Just painting a few wheels for a right hand drive 1912 touring.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I started removing the motor out of the touring car today. I can do about an hour each day before my back and legs become to painful but I'm happy to be working on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:57 am:

Well another project followed me home on my trailer.

'24 runabout in a box or should that be 'boxes' :-)
A ton of parts came with the project, lots of extras to the '24 project that included all sheet metal, turtle deck, and engine and wood kit, just 'some assembly required'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Drove the T for the first time, very nerve wracking. Getting it ready for to drive the family around the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Dan T. I have a correct 24 rear end that I could trade you for the incorrect old junky one that's under it now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Dan, I have two, just in-case you need parts and I live closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Yea guys, that old crummy rear end is 12 years older than the T....may have to change it out. :-)

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on November 23, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Steve, you'll get used to it. After some practice it will be fun. Now that I have my roadster in pretty good shape I'm driving it a lot. In good enough weather it's my go-to-town-and-shop car. I don't get why so many guys around here have T's and never drive them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Started re wiring some of the doodlebug to a more stock wiring setup. I had just wired it my own way before, but adding lights and now the generator, easiest way to go is just wire it like stock. I will eventually add a starter too. I am almost done and ready to refire it up and get the regulator dialed in tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I let Isabel out for some fresh air while I cleaned the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, November 23, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Phillip, what's all that green stuff on your trees? Did somebody teepee you with green toilet paper Halloween night?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 02:38 am:

It's been a rough winter here Mike, low 80's lately. I've had to break out the sun screen to keep my youthful appearance up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Been busy...Played polka music for 5 days at the Wurstfest, picked up the '10 Maxwell fenders from the powdercoater and mounted them on the runabout, picked up the '22 Fordson engine block from the machine shop - painted it and assembled components and drove the '26 roadster into town 8 miles away to pick up 2 BBQ plates for a benefit. The 40 MPH norther was fun driving going south. My speedometer Ap on the phone said I was going 43 MPH with only an inch of gas lever on the quadrant. Then, coming home, got only 14 MPH with fully advanced spark and gas on the quadrant. Those 2 BBQ plates really slowed me down ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Made some terminal nuts and cleaned some plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Finished up all my re wiring of the doodlebug, got the rebuilt generator installed and working with a Fun Projects regulator. Don't make fun of my modern vinyl coated wire, this thing sits outside and needs to be weatherproof. I also got the Fun Projects brake light switch wired up too. I am getting closer to getting this thing "legal" for road use. Last thing needed to have done is 4 way amber hazard lamps.

The brake light switch works fantastic, I am very impressed and wonder why it wasn't thought of sooner. Very simple and effective. Going to purchase one for my pickup.

I also managed to get one side axle bearing grease cup hole cleared out of the TT rear, it had no cup on it, and was packed shut with old dried grease. Also got the hyatt bearing regreased and reinstalled and the cup installed too. Tomorrow I need to take the hub back off again and make a axle/hub shim. Still getting a rubbing on that side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

Drove my T to the shop Monday. Day started out clear cool and dry. Got a late start coming home by then it was raining cool and dark. When I got home found out my brake lights were non-op. :-( Fixed them! :-) I am going to add a pilot light to tell me if they are working or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:46 pm:

Been working on the 1911 project. Just this AM reriveted the front spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

I preparation for plating I filled in the worn spots on the spark and throttle rods.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Spent the afternoon with one of our new clubs newest members (and now a new friend!) work on and get accustomed to driving his recently acquired '24 coupe. Shoulda taken some pictures. Nice little car. Helped/showed him how to adjust the bands, went through the car and pointed out "this and that" that needed attention, etc. We both had a great afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Drove the roadster to town for a bag of apples. It's good to get in all the T driving you can before the good weather goes south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Pulled the other side axle bearing on the Doodlebug TT rear axle, and got it greased and cleaned up, grease cup hole uncovered and cleaned up. Installed the missing grease cup, greased the bearing, put on the felt and cap and made the axle shim for that side.

Two things discovered. The felt seemed way to thick, so I split it in two. It went together much better that way in my opinion.

And it doesn't take a whole lot of thickness in axle shim to make a big difference. I think I read somewhere the other day that .001" in shim moves the hub .016". I would say that is pretty true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Happy Thanksgiving.

Lit up the kerosene and gas lights on the '14 and went to Shipley's Donuts for a dozen hot glazed and 6 chocolate.

I have four 15 year old grandkids in the house and it doesn't get better than this.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

With ALOT of help from Frank Woodin, I now have my sure stop disk brakes installed and bled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

I have to work today but when I get home I will be giving Sara Jane a bath because tomorrow night my better half and I will be taking her to the Alhambra Dinner theatre to see their version of White Christmas.Promises to be a good time :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

I rebuilt 12 coils today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Today I assembled and installed the magneto battery charger I started making yesterday. I wanted to do it without making any extra holes in the car, so I ran the wires through the slot for the carburetor rod.

Thanks to Bud Holzschuh for the diode and to John Regan for the advice to keep it way from heat.

It adds a couple of wires under the hood, but I don't think this looks too cluttered.

The battery rides in the frame rather than taking up scarce trunk space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

On Thanksgiving my daughter and I, took the touring car to Grandma house for dinner with the family. It was great ride warm sun and strong breeze blowing.
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

Took the TT for a short drive. We only have an inch of snow but it was cold. 6* when I got up and 12* by time I got the cows fed. The old TT started up on second try. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Well, now I'm O.T. here, 'cause yesterday we went with our neighbors on a steam train ride up in Michigan to the "North Pole". A nice break from car stuff. The Ohio State/Michigan traffic after the game was horrendous. We got in the thick of it on Rte. 23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

I had to rush to get this on the November thread. If I waited two days and put in on Decembers thread then the purists would get mad because I did it in November. If I put it on in Decembers thread then I would have to write 'OT' because it was really done in November. And then the OT guys would get mad. And if I don't get off this forum and go to bed then my wife will get mad. ----- Thank God Model T's are like dogs. They love you no matter what!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

I drove mine. 17 degrees over night waited till 9am when it was all the way up to 28. I had the engine machine work done by H&H flatheads and the trans done by The Tin Shed one year ago and it still runs great. I will do the normal deep cleaning and touch up this winter but I still plan to drive it all winter long except for those rainy and snowy days. 😎

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I put a new Classtiques top on my 1915 Touring... It came out pretty good..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration