Snoqualmie Pass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Snoqualmie Pass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

After looking at the Ocean to Ocean tour info and reading some more about the Yellowstone Trail, I thought it most appropriate to post a few shots that Bing showed me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

The road shown in the top photo is still open and passable - starts down at the bottom near Denny Creek campground and winds up to the top of the summit and pops out near Alpental ski resort - driven it many times !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Steve, is it paved now? Looks like a great tour road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

It's paved now. If I remember correctly, it's even four-lane. I rode my motorcycle through there on my Seattle trip back in '01. I rode up to see the NWVS Memorial Day run and visited a friend. I did 4,400 miles in eight days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:31 am:

You're thinking of old #10/I-90, Eric - the original road up the pass is now asphalt - more of a "chip-seal" - I believe the O2O folks drove down it from the summit - Barry - do you remember that section ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 05:19 pm:

Steve: I do. We drove a section of road that was still rough gravel and rock. I believe it was in an area not generally open to the public, but they let us through. Then there was the smooth hard topped road, which after the other was like riding on air. The rough section was a part of the road that the original racers, back in 1909, drove on. They apparently encountered some deep snow. No snow when we drove over it.

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

Here is what my computer says it looks like now. ... Model T road?

Snowqualamie Pass

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Terry, your computer is not showing the road we took getting there.

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Hansen on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

May 1954 maybe early June convoyed with 6X6 from Ft Lewis to Yakima via the pass. Left Ft Lewis in the typical rain, when we hit the pass couldn't find enough clothes with a light snow, dropped down towards Yakima after a bit down to the regular issue work uniform. Anyone who has been in the service and experienced driving Army vehicles knows of the great comfort they afforded. Quite a trip all extremes of weather in short while, don't recall mileage or how long it took to drive it happy to get to Yakima. Spent something like five or six weeks in Yakima, very interesting experience driving most cross country while there. Big place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Terry,

Your Google shot is about 2 miles east of where one would exit the freeway (I-90)
and then head down the west side of the pass. The old road is down below where
the interstate now runs. There is about 4 miles between the top and the bottom at
Denny Creek, where one is forced back onto the freeway and can resume their life
of yuck. The "old road" actually does take off from that point shown (Hyak - a ski
resort built by the Milwaukee Road just east of the summit), but that section from
Hyak to the summit remained in service as US 10 until the late 60's and was very
updated, compared to the old road down the west side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Thanks for the correction, Burger - been a long time since I was at "the Pass" for skiing - Hyak is where the old road pops out !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Back in the early eighties I was an OTR truck driver. Once when leaving Seattle, in the rain heading to Spokane going over Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 we were stopped for a couple hours less than a mile from the top. It had started to snow and a UPS set of doubles hard spun-out and I had not put on my chains. We sat there for two hours, I was empty and sitting beside a big rig weighting 100 thousand pounds and when they open the interstate he just sat there (spinning his wheels) while I was on my way.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Warren ... you must be lying .... it never rains in Seattle !!! :-)

And people ask me why I left !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:58 am:

Burger, the first time I was in Seattle I saw a t-shirt that had "people in Seattle don't tan, they rust". Wish I had bought one back then, but that was over thirty years ago.

Happy motoring,

Warren

ps: Spokane was my favorite place in the great State of Washington and you can not beat the beauty of Coeur d'Alene not even Tahoe can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I spent 30 years in the swamps of the "Wetside". Never gave it much thought ...
it was just where I lived, you know ? Then one day it hit me like a hammer to the
old grape ... Why the hell do I live in this dark, wet, grey, nasty place where traffic
is so bad, the roads are packed with aspiring stunt drivers, real estate is stupidly
expensive, the sprawl was destroying everything old and cool .... ??? And did I
mention it rains there over 600 days a year ??? No one was holding a gun to my
head to make me stay ! I had just never thought to go some place nice !

I packed my stuff and left.

I go back occasionally to partake of the good things the place has to offer, knowing
full well that I can escape any time I want. Leaving was one of the best decisions I
ever made.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration