OT but T related ....What kind of hats are these

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT but T related ....What kind of hats are these
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

I am trying to find some vintage clothing to match the clothes in a picture of a speedster like my speedster project. We have found a dark brown wool coat with a fur collar for my wife, I have a wool jacket like the one the man has on. But, the hats ???? We are having no luck with them. So what is the name of the style of hats they have on. I think the mans hat is a "Gatsby" but unsure and have found nothing like it ... If I get the speedster done this winter, I thought it would be nice to have some period correct clothes to wear with it ... Thanks Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

We always called them "crushers"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wightman on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

lots on ebay... type in newsboy or Gatsby cap or hat can't remember which one..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Our local hat emporium calls them newsboy hats, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

Oops, sorry. Newsboy caps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Newsboy cap for the man and Deluth Trading has a pretty good selection. I wear them all time. Can't help with the womans hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

I found several listings for Newsboy and Gatsby wool hats/caps for men on e-bay. And by adding the word "ladies" to the search, led me to finding some similar to the ladies hat called either beanies, cloche, or beret hats/caps. I am now leaning toward her hat being a form of beret .??? Thanks for the input, it got me started in the right direction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Gentleman's Emporium has lots of period stuff.
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/gentlemans.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Before the modern baseball cap which began in the '30s, those were commonly called sports caps. Newsboy or newsies were also common names. These days, if you try to call them sports caps, you will get way too many responses for baseball caps, so they are rarely called that anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Oh for cryin' out loud boys, that is a Golf Cap.
I don't golf, but I do wear the caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Forget the damn hats guys, what about that fine looking speedster.

It is well proportioned and detailed. Some observations from my point of view.

It appears that the disc wheels are larger than regular model t wheels and tires suggesting Dodge ?

It appears there is no upholstery looking at the woman's shoulder and arm.

I believe I see a partial drum headlight showing.

Looking at the brake cable? on the passengers side it appears to reinforced with wood? perhaps, or is the radius rod showing and maybe a lighter color?

Assuming the radiator is stock and the hood is stock why is there a gap from the bottom of the side panel to the frame rail? I wonder if they raised the radiator to match a higher cowl? Therefore the shorter hood.

Looking at the end of the fuel tank and the paint missing on the frame rail possibly the tank is leaking?

Straight up that is one of the best designed and executed speedsters I have ever seen.

just sayin'

brascarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

They're also called flat caps.

Up here in the Twin Cities, I've purchased good quality wool newsboy caps of various weights at Marshall's.

I've also bought them at Burlington Coat factory. Sometimes Burlington also has leather newsboy caps in stock.

I like to wear them in the fall, winter and early spring.

I wish I could find some cotton or canvas versions for summer. When I do, they usually have an adjustable plastic snap band in the back, like a truckers cap, but I'd like to find one without the plastic band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Straw hat for summer, newsboy cap (driving cap, golf cap) the rest of the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 11:58 pm:

I would agree that she has on a Beret. Very stylish for riding/driving around in a speedster!
And yes, that is one heck of a speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:42 am:

Brass car guy. Thanks for the comments on the speedster. The speedster project I am building is almost a clone of that car. I have an original body and Disteel wheels. The car is more than likely a factory built body. I have found no ads for a body like it, but everything on my body points to factory made. My body is made from galvanized metal. A lot of original ads and catalogs for back in the day list their bodies as being made of "anti-rust metal" so more than likely that is just galvanized metal. I figure the paint flaking off in the photo is a result of poor paint prep over the galvanized metal. Most of the early catalogs give some paint choices as to color, so the bodies probably were not "bare galvanize" and were painted originally. The gas tanks on the "trunk back" style of speedsters are usually 20 to 22 gallon tanks. and are the same size diameter as a Model T Torpedo tank just longer. My tank figures out to be 22 gallon. Another thing that was common on lots of the early ads for bodies is that they state that they fit a stock Ford hood and radiator. My speedster has a stock low hood and a stock size low radiator. I will be using a "Peerless" low radiator shell and a wide leather belt to hold the hood on like the photo. The firewall in my body was a stock low wood firewall. It was in bad shape so I replaced it with a low steel firewall. It was almost a "bolt in" job. I had several threads about the project last winter. You can google my name + speedster project + mtfca and probably find them, or just do a keyword search for speedster project on the forum. Im always wanting ideas, critiques, likes/dislikes, or ???? Im about half finished, and hope to finish it this winters work season... Thanks for the input... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:51 am:

I forgot. The thing in front of the wheel that looks like it is the headlight may be something in the background. The little white dot above the center of the front tire is more than likely the headlight rim. That is about the location of my headlights. The gap at the bottom of the hood may be caused by the stock radiator sitting on "raising blocks" That was another of the techniques used back in the day. I have found literature speaking of "raising blocks" in some of the ads and catalogs. My low radiator will require a small "raising block to fit right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Here is a link to past threads, there are multiple links in this thread link. That way no one needs to search for them. Remember. I am always looking for comments or ideas. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/535335.html?1430535812

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:49 am:

Her hat is a form of beret. A beret usually is made the same way as his hat, having the crown formed in one piece with the rim. Hers is made with two pieces. The crown is a flat piece sewn to the rim. Hence the sharp divide between the crown and sides. When placed on the head, the crown can be pulled into any position as deemed appropriate. She has it pulled back so it won't blow off. It was likely pulled to the side when seen away from the vehicle.

The term beanie was used in one response. In Australia a beanie is a close fitting knitted affair, often having a rolled up brim which can be rolled down to protect the ears. We sell these, hand knitted from our own woolen yarns.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Donnie, Type in Gatsby Hat on Amazon, That's where I got mine. Harv.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration