Lost Title

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lost Title
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

I have a 1927 Model T Touring car that I purchased a couple years ago that does not have a title. Does anyone know how I can obtain a title? I recently noticed in a classic car magazine people advertising that they can get a title for antique vehicles where the title was lost. I can't locate a copy of that magazine. Is this legal?
thanks,
Merle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Merle,

There's no one answer for you. It varies from state to state. I see you're from TX. I can't comment on that, (I'm in MI), but maybe some Texans can give you some tips.

You can always start by going to your DMV and asking. The only real tip I can give is DON'T TELL THEM ANY MORE THAN YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Merle, getting a title is a topic that surfaces frequently here. Try reading some of these threads and see if they are any help. You might also send a private message to some of the Texas people who have posted in the threads to ask their advice.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/559580.html?1438421897

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/519247.html?1424237428

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Merle I live in central Texas and I didn't have a bill of sale, title or anything other than my word that I had a Model T.
I had inherited it from my Father and finally restored it 3 years ago.
As others have stated DO NOT go your local tax office or DMV and volunteer any more information than you have to. Most of the people you will deal with just don't know exactly what you will need to do to get a title.
Old cars with lost titles seems to totally confuse them.

I finally took some advice from a guy on the forum and used a bonded title service.

I used Classic Auto Title in the DFW area and finally got a title for the car.

These folks know exactly how to get your title without the hassle and know what information you need to get it done.

Contact L.Palmer@ClassicAutoTiTle.com
214-697-8948

They will tell you what to do.

I can tell you that you may need to have the DMV verify the engine no. in your car to make sure your car isn't stolen.
They run your cars engine no. through the system to check it out.
Since I didn't have any paperwork at all to my car that's what I had to do.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Merle, I sent you a private message by the forum. I had never heard of Classic Auto Title in Fort Worth, TX. They may be as good (or a better option) than the lead that I sent you. I would check both and their prices, and certainly, if a problem arose, they are closer than the company that I referred you to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

Merle, I'm in Conroe, about 40 miles north of you. We bought a '31 Model A earlier this year with no title, but a bill of sale. I took the bill of sale to the DMV in Houston, just off Loop 610. They gave me a refusal letter which told me they couldn't issue a title base on what I had. I was told they would do that. Then I went to my insurance agent here and for $100.00 they issued a bond which I then took to our tax office. Using the bill of sale and the bond the car was registered and I had a title from the State of Texas in a few days. The title has the word "bonded" printed on the face. After 3 years I can take the title back to the tax office and pay $30.00 and they will issue a new title without the "bonded" stated on the face. If I sell the car during the first 3 years the new buyer will deal with the title in the same way I would. Hope this helps. I did all that in one afternoon all at the suggestion of one of the clerks in the tax office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:37 pm:

Michigan office referred me to this service: http://car-title.org/about-us.html
They service several states. I havn't tried it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Thanks everyone. John, I like your suggestion and since you are close to me and located in Texas I will follow your lead. Did you need to have your car inspected by the Houston auto theft division? It sounds as though you did everything at the county tax office. Is that correct. Did you do this in Montgomery county or in Harris county?
thanks,
Merle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Everything in Montgomery County. I think there was a $10.00 charge at the DMV in Houston and I may have been there all of about 10 minutes. Nobody looked at the car. If you do the bond deal like we did you will notice that the amount of coverage stated in the bond will be a lot less than what you paid. When I asked if I could get more coverage with additional premium I was told that the State sets the rate and the amount of coverage and that the State doesn't recognize antiques or classics, they just see it as an "old car". Anyway, if you don't mind a little bit of footwork it isn't a big deal, at least not in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:58 am:

John,
What do I ask for when I speak with my insurance company? What type of Bond is it? I am not clear on what the Bond is called. Can you please explain further.
thanks,
Merle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:16 am:

When I called our agent I just told them exactly what I needed. It may be that every agent isn't familiar with this type bond so if you have a problem with your local agent send me a PM and I'll give you the name and number of our agent here in Conroe and you can call them. This is the same agent that writes our home and auto coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Merle' do you have any documentation that you bought your Model T and from who? A bill of sale is necessary if you go through your insurance company.
I was going to do that but my insurance agent told me I needed to have be some type of documentation of ownership.

I had to have my car inspected by an antitheft officer since I didn't have any proof of ownership.

I would suggest to anyone wanting to buy an old car of any type to at least get a bill of sale.
That's the first step in obtaining a title.
If you don't do that going through a bonded title service is almost a necessity as it was in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:34 am:

John,
My agent is Texas Farm Bureau. They said they do not issue these bond and suggested I check with an independent agent. Could you please give me the contact information of your agent so I can work through them.
thanks,
Merle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Terminology -

A "lost title" means the paper title has been misplaced by the owner and cannot be found. If the record still exists in the DMV's system (has not been purged) then it is a matter of applying for a replacement title.

Applying for a new title is a whole different ball of wax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Merle O. Tanner on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

John,
I did get a Bill of Sale and I agree that is very important to do in all cases when items are sold.
thanks,
Merle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

That will make things easier since you did get a bill of sale.
In my case my Father bought the remains of the Model T I had back in the 70's!

We never found any type of title, bill of sale or anything. I believe he paid cash and that was it.
But who knows.
Good luck Merle with your situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Regarding my earlier post on buying the Model A, we received 4 bills of sale with the earliest one in 1969. There were 3 other subsequent bills of sale up to our purchase. However, the tax office, the DMV and the insurance agent only looked at the most recent one??? All the paper work was in sequence with the dates, etc.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration