Oil ( not like the others )

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil ( not like the others )
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Just found a very old Gulf Supreme map of Maine and Quebec. It is interesting as it lists five different grades of their oil:

SUPREME MOTOR OIL--Medium
Heavy
Extra Heavy
"F" Ford
Special Heavy
Too bad that no date is shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

And no data ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Ford recommended oil as shown below, corresponding to SAE 20W - 20. This is a "Light oil, which confusingly is referred to by Mobil as Arctic Heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

Here we go again. :-)

When did Ford "recommend" that? SAE spec oil didn't exist during the Model T era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Ken, Ford recommended a "medium light" oil in the owners manual that was included with every Model T.
Medium light was equivalent to what was called SAE 20 when the SAE specifications were standardized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 03:17 am:

I'm not sure by any means, but I don't think multi grade oil was developed until many years after T production. Royce, where did you find that "light oil" corresponds to SAE 20w-20? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:09 am:

Tin Lizzie by Stern which is now reprinted,said sae #10 was the modern equivlent in 1955.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:45 am:

@ Roger (and David) - Ok, I misread Royce's wording. However, Ford published a specific viscosity for what oil should be used. The problem is that the viscosity method used back then is difficult to convert to modern SAE standards as an "equivalent". At best, it must be assumed the equivalent falls in a range somewhere between SAE 20 and below. Certainly no higher.

Opinion follows: :-)
Those that are using diesel oil or 10W-50, etc. are robbing their engine of life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:49 am:

How so?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Ken,

Ford referred to the viscosity as a "Light grade" of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:58 am:

Neither of which is shown in your example.

What is Gargoyle Mobiloil "E" and White Star Extra Quality? I suspect these are light machine oils. There's a specific viscosity published but I can't locate it at the moment. It was covered in an old thread on this same subject.

In any case, any oil is better than no oil. People complain of noisy transmissions when using light oils. And I sure don't want to rehash bearing clearances. :-) But heavier oil doesn't circulate as fast as the specified oil.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration