I decided to buy a new Motometer!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I decided to buy a new Motometer!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

After reading all the posts on how to get the red to come down on my motometer, I saw one about mounting on a lathe. I don't have access to a lathe, so I decided to tie it to one of the rear wheels. tied it on with string and put some duct tape around it and with the wheel jacked up, I ran the engine very fast in high gear and there was a bang. The motometer flew across the garage. It broke the glass but the red is now at the top with clear at the bottom. Anyway, I didn't lose much since it was already broken. But it has been fun trying to fix.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Glad nobody was in the path of it when it went flying! Will you be posting the video on Youtube? :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Sorry I don't do youtube or videos. In fact I don't even do photos. My wife has the camera and she wasn't there to see it. I was sitting in the T so only heard the noise. It hit the fender and went right down under the runningboard, but broken glass was all over.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Sorry for posting the link :-(
Maybe fastening with heavier hardware would have helped, the centrifugal force is strong at high speeds. I'm glad noone was hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Norm,
I read your post to Marilyn and she's sitting on the couch laughing. Said I hung around you too long last year when you rebuilt my engine and did the brakes and my way of doing things rubbed off on you ("but he used duct tape!" I said). We've been married 45 years and I'm pretty sure her remark wasn't meant as a compliment! :-)
When I had that problem, someone told me to tie a string around the motometer and twirl it around as fast as I could and the centrifugal force would force the red liquid back where it belonged. Forgetting I was 6'5" tall, all I managed to do was wrap the string and motometer around the rafter in the top of the garage!
Glad no one got hurt. Hope to see you at the November meeting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

These old people are dangerous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Some of us kids will never grow up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 12:15 am:

I had an uncle years ago that had a habit of leaving the drill chuck key in the side of the chuck. It used to drive my dad crazy. Then one day the key went through a window 25 feet away. I was only about ten years old at the time, but I can still remember my dad yelling about it. I was glad that I didn't have anything to do with it, but still to this day I do not leave the key in the side of the chuck. I now still have the drill press. And the chuck key.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:41 am:

When I was first learning "machining techniques"
at a later age, I left the chuck key in the lathe ONCE and a fellow machinist who was instructing me gave me an A-- chewing I never forgot !!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration