Underfilling the radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Underfilling the radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Yes! Underfilling. We've seen a lot of threads about overfilling and having coolant run out of the T. I think I found out why my T overheated Saturday. Everytime I get ready to go out in the T, I check the coolant level. I add a little if it seems low. The light is not very good in the garage, but I can look down and see coolant. Anyway, After the overheating episode Friday, I poured water into the radiator until I saw water about the level of the Ford emblem at the top tank. This is what I have been doing in all of my T's. When it gets that high, I stop filling and drive the car. Well anyway after I poured in some water it looked like the level was up to the usual location. I couldn't see it very well so I took a popsicle stick and checked the level. The stick looked looked dry, so I added more water. It took about 1/2 gallon more! I checked with the stick again. I noticed the stick stopped going down about the level of the Ford emblem. So I looked with a flashlight and low and behold there is a baffle at about that level, so after I had poured in a little water, the baffle was wet and it looked like the water level was high enough,but is was just the wet baffle This is a Brassworks radiator. I don't know if the other radiators have this baffle at this location or not, but anyway, this is another thing to check when you pour coolant into the radiator. I took it out for a drive this morning and pulled the steep hill to our house and it did not get hot.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Yep, it's a danger to consider - I've got an old Ford radiator and fortunately it has a hole in the baffle right in the sight line, so it's at least possible to see if the coolant covers the end of the tubes :-)
When in doubt, a stick tells the truth - both in the radiator and in the tank :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

I bought a T and was told by the previous owner that he was not able to keep the car from overheating even though he had the radiator cleaned out. I suspected that the timing was off but that was not the case. I checked everything I could think of and ran out of time to get the car ready to tour. I sent for a new radiator (special delivery) and as soon as it arrived, I took the old one off to put the new one on. As soon as I lifted the old radiator off the car I heard a metal sound in the tank. Sure enough, the baffle had broken loose and was sitting on the core preventing the water flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

I don't remember if it was my current rad. or the other one that the baffle was steel and crumpled up. One of them I pulled out with long needle nose pliers. I know this one does not have a baffle and I have not had any issues with it not being in place even running my Atlas water pump. :-) Makes it real easy to see how much water is in the top tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

I used to concern myself with shining a light down into the filler neck to see that I was bringing the coolant up to just the right level in the radiator. _But eh, now I see that as too much fuss and bother. _It's easier to just intentionally overfill it and let the system blow out whatever excess it doesn't need. _Then, the level is perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 02, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Ya if I look in and see my mug, it has water! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration