Dating oil caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Dating oil caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:29 am:

A friend has these oil caps, which have slight differences in their markings. Does anyone know when the different ones were used, or were the ones with slight differences just made by different suppliers?

oc2

oc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:37 am:

Here's what the encyclopedia says:
http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#oil2

"
1909-1912
Now located at the right-front of the engine. A thin brass “pipe” with a screen at the top, which fitted into the oil filler spout.

Brass cap with “Ford” with six flutes (notches) around the top.

1912-1914
Brass. Similar to the earlier but “Made in USA” added. The style of the “Ford” and of the “Made in USA” varied, perhaps because of different suppliers.

1914-1915
>Steel with Ford script, in the same pattern as the earlier type. The “Made in USA” did not appear on all caps.

1915-1927
Steel, with script until 1916 and without script from then on. Simpler design, somewhat larger, and with just three flutes around the top."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:01 am:

The later caps from 16 on shows that Ford was getting cost and speed conscience. Any thing to make his T cheaper and faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:13 am:

From Rodda's Volume I:

1 .....Early 1912
2 .....Late 1912 (Double-lined MADE IN USA 1912 - Early 1914)
3 .....(Steel) Early 1914 - Early 1915
4 ....."There are a lot of these caps around and they may have been used along with the script cap or they could have been a Ford replacement cap."
5 .....Early 1915 - Late 1916
6 .....Late 1916 - 1927

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:24 am:

The Ford script steel cap, second from the right is 1916. There is also a bogus cap that is similar making the rounds that says Pat. Pend. under the script. I have all of those caps in my collection, including the early one with just a screen used in 1910-11. I also have a NOS 1915 cap, and it is raven finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:26 am:

I failed to mention, the cap in the lower left hand corner is a current reproduction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:47 am:

See pages 572-572 in the Model T Encyclopedia for details and documentation (references to factory drawings "not necessarily the dates of production").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Bruces book is not as accurate as the information posted here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Thanks for the info, Guys. The owner of these caps doesn't post much but reads the forum, so he'll see your replies.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration