Old Photo - Before Rosie The Riveter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Before Rosie The Riveter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Just to let you know "Rosie" isn't dead & gone here's my Grand Daughter (almost 3) as Rosie for Halloween. Note the tool box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 04:31 pm:

looks like she works cheep just a few snacks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

Anyone have any information on those 5 lug wheels on the older Rosie's Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

She needs to replace that missing lug bolt while she's down there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

The wheel, and the photo, are both interesting. The 1917 license plate suggests that it may be an early wartime shot. It also indicates an early "black era" T with a few miles on it. Although cars did get dirty fast on the roads of the cay, it appears well embedded. There is still some shine remaining on the body.

There were several companies making after-market five-lug demountable wheels for Fords. Firestone seems to have advertised the most, and quite a lot of them survive. For whatever it is worth, Ed Archer has a preference for Perlman Wheels. I have seen several sets of them. Perlman Wheel Company was connected to several other wheel and/or axle companies in those years. I don't have any ready access to accurate details, but if I recall correctly, there were connections to Weston Mott axles and Jaxon wheels. There were several other manufacturers, including I think Motor Wheel (my '27 Paige has Motor Wheel wheels).
What I find curiously interesting about the wheel in the OP photo is the felly. Most (not all) of the original wheels I have looked at are of the type that the wood felly is exposed on three sides, with only the outer surface covered by a steel band that both strengthens and protects the wood felly from the demountable rim and lugs.
The wheel in the photo appears to be of the type that the steel band is rolled in an "L" shape that covers both the outer surface and the outer face of the wood felly. This style was used on a number of non-Fords, usually for tire sizes larger than 30 inch.
With all the dozens of sets and many loose extra five-lug after-market demountable wheels I have seen for model T Fords over the years? Only a couple sets, and maybe a dozen loose wheels that I have seen were of this type. Maybe somewhere else, there are more of them?
But at least for me? That detail makes this photo interesting.
Thank you Jay, and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:55 am:

that is interesting Wayne. My Maxwell had 30 x 3 1/2 Perlman rims on Stanweld wheels. It would have been easy for those manufacturers to put Ford hubs in wheels they were already making for other cars.

The front fenders on the car above seem to have much more round front that later fenders. I have seen some like that and wondered if they were earlier.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:11 am:

Hard to say but, looking at the drivers side, it looks to have an under axle wishbone which would make it a 1919 car. Could it be a later photo with the 1917 plate added for effect? The whole photo looks fake. You have a woman there, posing with her hands on a part of the car while doing what? Conveniently, the only tools visible are the ones found under the seat of the car.

(Message edited by 404_not_found on November 04, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Bob Bergstadt's early '17 in this post: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/583588.html?1446511092 has the same style front fenders - it's got a 9-22-16 engine casting date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:15 am:

I would say it is an above wishbone. The wishbone nut can be seen on the left side of photo. Right side is difficult to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:47 am:

looks to me like that fender has been in a wreck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Definitely an over the axle wishbone.
Look at the passenger's side like Richard says.

Dave wells says, "Conveniently, the only tools visible are the ones found under the seat of the car". Are we all looking at the same picture?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration