Stromberg OF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stromberg OF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

A couple of months ago I bought a Stromberg OF from eBay. It was not in great condition, but I thought at $250 it would be cheaper than buying a refurbished one from Uncle Stan.
Was I wrong..... First it was missing parts which I had to buy from Stan, about $150, so now we are up to $400. Now for me my time is free, for paid jobs I usually get $30 per hour so ten hours is worth $300. I felt sure I could do it less than ten hours....
I had to clean the damn thing and free up all rusted parts, new carb cleaner, one screw broke off and I had to drill it out.... You can see where this is going. I didn't give up and several weeks later I was reasonably happy with my efforts.
I chose to try it on the coupe. Of course nothing quite fits, it had to make a new throttle linkage 1/8 inch longer and then, after a call to Stan, I realized that here is no built in choke return spring. The spring I bought from Stan and spent several hours installing, only connects the two choke control rods, it needs an external spring. The gas line almost hooked up without problems except for........ The fuel shut off handle now either hits the chassis frame one way or the dip stick the other.
After all these adventures I started the coupe, it RAN... In fact it runs quite well, pulls strongly from 15 mph up to close to 45 without any stumbles and I think with less throttle opening. A couple of concerns, the idle screw seems to be a little loose and the idle mixture screw doesn't seem to be very effective?
All in all, the OF appears to be a great improvement over the Holly NH, but next time I will just call Uncle Stan and send him any money he wants, it will be cheaper....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

Tony, I feel your pain. I had put mine back on the shelf rather than send it to Stan. It was packed and addressed ready to post when I worked out what the postage would cost!

Imagine my surprise when I opened a heavy Christmas to find my OF had benefited From Stan's magic touch and was ready to install. My son Anthony had posted the parcel off without me even noticing it was missing! That one was a wreck when I found it and needed bits only Stan had the knowledge of and source for.

Now I have a second one, in much nicer condition and absolutely complete. I am tempted to bolt Stan's beauty on my roadster when completed to test it out, and then just substitute this second one to see how it performs.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:56 pm:

Note to Unca Stan, You can't buy this kind of advertizing....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Stan has my OF as we speak. For the expertise that he has for the old brass carbs, I feel my money will be well spent. Sometimes its just better to let the pros do the work. And a lot of times it is also cheaper than doing it yourself and going thru an expensive learning process. I will have to save up some more "pennies" but I also have a U&J sitting on the shelf that I will probably have Stan do next, for the speedster project. :-) :-) submitted with respect Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

I purchased an OF from Stan, and it is truly a work of art, strategically placed under the hood. Everyone who looks at the engine comments on how good it looks. But that is just extra benefits, since now my T runs better that it ever has. Getting an OF from Stan was one of my most brilliant decisions...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 12:30 am:

WOW!!! Can't buy this kind of advertising. Thanks!

I spent most of Sunday and part of Monday trying to get a little caught up on carbs, I've been off work quite a bit this fall with a knee injury from wrecking my pickup but I'm getting better and trying to get back in the shop and get at it.

I bought a couple OF's last week and got them out today, one to Jon Klardie who has had one on order for a couple months, it was a very nasty looking thing but cleaned up to be absolutely gorgeous. Yesterday I got one of the Tbay ones and it was the nicest original I have ever had. Virtually new old stock. It will go to Craig Correll who has been patiently waiting since summer for his but told me to go ahead and get the others out first. He's in sunny southern California so drives all year round. I should have taken some pics of that one before I started on it just to show what they looked like when they came from Stromberg. Too busy.

I had all the steel parts for the OF reproduced last winter and it has really made a difference in rebuilding them. I had a guy in New York do them and they are virtually perfect. I made some jigs to do the bending and the throttle arm that drove me crazy for years is now in a drawer ready to install if I need one. Same with the other parts.

I think I have around 1000 OF's on the road along with I have no idea how many other brass carbs. I got a box in today with half a dozen to do, worked all day on a O-3 for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I should have had in a box today but will be tomorrow and just shipped a couple off to Canada as well as two to Belgium and one to South Africa. I'm 20 or so behind but gaining on them. Snowing here tonight and so winter is here and I'll be back to ten or twelve hours a day in the shop from now on.

I think one thing that does make a difference with me doing them is that I have jigs to regrind every mating surface that the plugs go in and either resurface the mating surfaces or make new plugs which pretty much stops all the leaks. I also replace a lot of the slot head 1/4 32 plugs that always seem to want to leak with 5/6 hex head plugs that I make from hex brass stock and a lot of the other odd plugs Stromberg and Zenith used from brass stock. I also have over 50 various taps and die sizes from 0-80 to 1 1/16 x 32 so I can make about any plug or thread/rethread any passage.

Back to the shop for another hour or so tonight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 01:04 am:

Stan, what's your web address? I need to contact you about working over an OF for me. Thanks. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 01:21 am:

www.strombergof.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 03:45 am:

Thanks Stan. Message sent. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Great site, Stan! Didn't you used to have a similar site for Ruckstell rear axles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Yes, I took it down because I am no longer doing Ruckstells and I was still getting these hour long phone calls about them.

I still buy one if I can find a good one for a good price, missed the big drum in Billings that was on ebay last week. It was pickup only, I'll be going through there in a couple weeks headed down to my ranch for a couple days and could have snagged it.

I was under the high bidder obviously, don't know by how much.

Uncle Stan's book of basic truths # 731: You can't tell how good a Ruckstell is by looking at the paint on the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Today took the coupe with the Stromberg OF on a longer run, up to Alpine the Descanso. More on what we did there later.
On the way out it ran fine, but did misfire once on a large uphill stretch. However on the way down the mountain, the misfire got worse on every uphill stretch. Also I had lost idle, that d**n screw was still loose on the idle adjustment. Eventually the misfire became quite severe. It seemed I was out of gas. I checked the tank, still four gallons, so that was not the problem. I removed the acorn nut on the OF, it was loose and then noticed that the extension of the float needle would not move. The so-called locking nut was loose. I adjusted the needle thru the nut and drove home with no problems.
Clearly I didn't tighten the nuts and bolts tight enough, a little job for next week....

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on November 07, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Be careful of that little slot in the needle, very easy to snap off one of the tangs. Don't over do it, been there. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 11:11 am:

I have a OF that has a venture that is approximately 3/4" diameter, maybe smaller. Is this T or other app.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

If it is marked Stromberg OF it is for a Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

There are actually OF's that were produced for the Willys Overland aftermarket. They have the same body but the holes in the mounting flange are further apart and the throttle arm has a kink in it to shorten it.

There was a whole thread about that a year or two ago. Somebody was selling one of them and was bound and determined that it was not for a Willys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 01:01 am:

Stan, did you get the message I sent you on your web address? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 01:26 am:

I lucked out with my OF carb, my grandfather put my T up on blocks in 1942 and in 2010 I gave it a quick clean and haven't touched the adjustments since! Runs like a clock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 02:41 am:

David, did now. It was in my spam folder for some reason. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 03:40 am:

Stan, no problem. Just wanted to make sure that you got it. No hurry, let me know what you think when you get a chance. I know you are very busy, much more than me! Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration