The last nail in the....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The last nail in the....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

Today I drove the last nails in the panel work on my roadster,from the cowl down one side and back up the other, all along the underside of the body.
My new creeper got a good workout.

I drilled the panels for each nail hole, but the hardwood timbers and my misshits working on my back made for many casualties. In some cases, it took 3 nails before I got one home.

Now I am just waiting for the doors to come back with their new skins before I can get stuck into painting it. I was toying with a two tone red scheme, with cream Hayes wire wheels. But I got a good colour match for the original paint and painted piece of panel for effect. It looks good, but then I red the colour name on the can. Army olive drab!!!!! That sort of deflated that idea.

Allan ftom down umder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

My grandfather would straighten the nails in your blue bucket and save them for next time. :-)

The roadster is looking great so far!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Allen, Its too late to help now, but you can make a nail driver out of a piece of steel tubing big enough for the head of the nail, then take a solid steel rod that will slide thru the tube. Let it stick out of the steel tube far enough to attach a heavy weight similar to a body shop slam hammer, and have enough exposed rod to slide back and forth in the tube. . You make them as long as needed to fit the application you are working on. To use it just insert the nail in the tube and use the new "slam hammer" to "drive her home" These homemade drivers work real good for tight places or where you can not swing a hammer. Sorry Im too late .:-( submitted with respect Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

also if you go to the shoe repair shop you can get shoe nails. they are 5/8 s long and ring shanked get the black ones they are hard, i can hold them with pliers and drive right through 20 gauge steel. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Donnie Brown: When I was building my house a fellow who helped once in while had one of those slide hammers for 16 penney nails. He would use it for tight place on the studding and such. It worked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Bill, I have several different sizes I have made thru the years. (finish nails to 16 penny) They are a real help in tight awkward places ... and the hammer never misses :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

Nice progress! That thing is going to be great!
Also, too late to help you, but maybe someone else? I nailed the sheet metal onto my '15 runabout a bit over a month ago. It helped a lot that I rotated it to upside down. It was easier with mine because with the turtle deck off, I could hang it upside down on the rear deck and front of the frame over saw horses.
The wood I used for sills was oak, so difficult to nail. I drilled pilot holes, which helped, but still bent a lot of nails. On tough ones, I use a pair of needle nose pliers. They help steady the nail, and hold it straight. I use the wider part of the pliers' jaw to start the nail, and move the jaws back to the narrower area as the nail gets driven in. Helps a lot!
Pliers help even more working from underneath.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:29 am:

Very nice work. I have done it the way you have. Isn't it nice to have it done?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Just say "NO!" to red paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:28 am:

So what's wrong with O.D. doesn't need to be polished just washed periodically and you are good to go.No need to go all shiny,unless of course you are trying to attract a mate! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

GR, olive drab is the colour description. It will be gloss finish in lacquer. I can't/won't use two pack. Too much wood dust in my shop, and I need the quick flash dry of acrylic.
Burger, when contemplating red, it was to be a maroon with a cream highlight on the turtledeck features. The combination works well. I already have a two green cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Looking good Allan! Your post about bending nails and nailing on the skin reminds me what I did on my 21 Touring and 19 Roadster years ago.

I also had to predrill the holes to make things work a little easier. Looking at the previous holes in the skin I began to wonder how Ford did the nailing.
Does anybody know if the holes were predrilled or was the skin nailed on without predrilling.

I just can't see the body builders bending a pile of nails as they assembled the bodies.

Examining the sheet metal it looks like to me the panels were nailed on without predrilling. The holes were slightly countersunk indicating the nails were just 'punched' or hammered through.
And they weren't that evenly spaced either.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration