1911 fender eyelet bolts and nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1911 fender eyelet bolts and nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:26 am:

does anyone have specs or pictures of the style of the eyelets and the thickness if the nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:53 am:

think I might somewhere, let me look around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:31 am:

They are thicker than the later ones, but use the same threads. The nuts are pretty thick too. The hex nut is 11/16", and is .375" thick. The thickness of the eyebolt is about .385".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Someone would have to verify if this is correct for a 1911 or not. I believe it is earlier than 1914. the other 2 are '14 -''15 I believe.

Rich

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Are you sure about those lock washers, I didn't think they were around yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:18 am:

The two with the string are correct. I don't recall ever seeing the one on the right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

The one on the right is earlier. They changed from a round shape to the oval one early on, but I don't know exactly when.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Lock washers have been around since the late 1800s. They were expensive to manufacture and therefore not commonly used then.
It is a bit difficult to believe, but standardization of nuts, bolts, thread sizes and counts didn't begin seriously until after 1900. It was actually due in large part to the automobile industry. SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. They were the ones that decided by committee exactly what the measurements and counts would be. Prior to that, manufacturing companies all did their own thing, and nuts and bolts were made specifically to match each other. Every good blacksmith had to have the tools to make replacement parts and threading cutters were usually adjustable. Taps were often tapered so that you could cut far enough to get the correct diameter, hopefully stopping before having gone too far. It was usually a process of cut, check fit, cut a bit more, check fit again. Repeat until done. Even the thread count per inch was not standardized.
Those lock washers look typical of early lock washers. I have maybe a few dozen of them that came from my grandfather's and great-grandfather's blacksmith shops that date back to the late 1800s. I have boxes of junk, and many of their tools. I wish I had the whole shop, forge, and anvil.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

The lock washers were on these eye bolts when I found them. I can only assume they belong there. This one is on a 1911 to early 1913 fender. I will have to soak it for a while to get it off to compare it to the others. I think it is like the two at left. It has a very flat but wide lock washer like the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

This is the original hardware on a 1911 Torpedo / Open Runabout fender in my possession and it also has the large flat lock washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Parts books list that lock washer.

Fac. No. T-1943, p/n 2936 as 3/8" lock washer or 'plain spring washer'.

T-1943 Also listed as p/n 4806C as Washer, lock 5/16", likely due to the dia. of the different eye bolts used, early and late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Gentleman,can't thank you enough for your help,George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Gentleman,can't thank you enough for your help,George

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration