Way OT - "Just don't try to pick a fight with a porcupine!"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Way OT - "Just don't try to pick a fight with a porcupine!"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/04/dogs-injured-after-being-spiked-by-porcu pine/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

Brutal. It probably looked like the groundhog they chased last week. BTW, you know what the difference is between a BMW and a porcupine? On a porcupine, the pricks are on the outside. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John A Voss on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

the Fisher is only animal that can kill a porcupine !!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9357.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I used to trail ride with a group of folks. We would take our horses out for a long days ride and then sit around the camp fire at night telling lies er I mean stories. On night one of the riders dog tangled with a porcupine. It took three of us and a good pair of pliers about two hours to pull the quills out of the poor dogs face. The ladies in the group then treated the dog with hydrogen peroxide for the next two nights. It recovered OK but it never left the campsite after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

We raise porcupines and they make great pets, even the ones right out of the wild are friendly before too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Ah, memories! On a trail in Wyoming, about forty years ago, Rocky went after a porcupine and got a snootful. Mom and her two sisters held him down while I used the pliers to pull the quills out of his nose. He was a pretty quiet doggy for a couple of days after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Been down that road more than once. When it comes to skunks and porcupines,
dogs have #@! for brains. Even my old man, a well paid dog trainer, couldn't train
that stupid out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:24 am:

And the story says the dogs were 'attacked'! To my knowledge, porkies' quills are for defensive purposes, as they're not known to be aggressive in nature. ('Ya hafta wonder.....)
Also, Lonnie - Since you raise porcupines, my wife just asked a serious question: "How do you go about 'petting' a porcupine????"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:45 am:

With thick gloves ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H7EeC8k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Hey Marv, we had a hired man who had a pet porcupine, he pointed out haw you should never pet an animal against the fur, the quill pig was no exception, you pet them with the grain, not against it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Wow, Roger! Never could have imagined it...
(I still think I'd rather take my chances with JUST our Jack Russell!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:39 am:

And what if an accident happens? Remember to twist the quills before pulling them out.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-u4CsnygA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:57 am:

My Mother is a Veterinarian. At the clinic they have a drawer full of Polaroids. %80 of the photos are of Dog vs Porcupines. %95 of the time the porcupine wins. Often the quills get in the dogs eye lids, ears, nose cavity, and throat. One occasion when my Mom took me to work with her, I got to see a dog vs. Porcupine case. Some dogs won't quit even after the porcupine is dead, they'll roll on them leaving quills everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

I've had hundreds of quills in my hands, arms, legs and elsewhere from climbing trees to catch them. When we sex the new ones you can bet you will get quills in you besides being bitten by them. In order to sex them you need to lay them on their back which is the one thing they hate more than anything because their belly has no quills and no therefore protection. The guy in the video can say what he wants but cutting them off first really makes no difference from our experience. The quills are so sharp that you generally don't notice it when you get stuck, it's removal where you feel it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 09:11 pm:

Here is a link to our website with more info and pictures.

http://www.back40gamefarm.com/back_40_game_farm_newest_document_011.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Perhaps this is obvious to some, so humor me .... why would anyone want to mess
with porky-pines ? I just see them as a woods critter to observe and leave alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lonnie Smith Baxter MN on Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

We sell our bottle fed babies to zoos so they can handle them and use them for educational purposes. They wouldn't hurt a fly, the quills are just for defense. They are actually quite entertaining to watch, the way they waddle around like a tiny bear and make little noises. We had several babies in the house at one point and when they would wrestle with each other it was pretty funny.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration